Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Problem with data entry      Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next 

Problem with data entry 
Florida Metal

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Problem with data entry Reply with quote

While I am glad that a-d finally makes you post the info for aircraft that are not in the data base as it was a big problem where people were being lazy and just posting pictures without entering the data especially for military aircraft...

however, I posted a new profile for 163442 today, which was not on the site - Blue Angel #3 this year. I posted the data and went to then post my picture and it wasn't showing up on the drag down list when you post registrations. When I tried posting, of course it prevented me from posting the picture.

I tried reentering the data again but it says that it already exists. I looked it up on the finder and sure enough it pulls it up. Yet after refreshing several times it still is not showing up when I try to post it.

Florida Metal

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the same problem when I posted 163498, Blue Angel #5 F-18. I put the data in there but it is blocking me from posting my pictures

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel.

I noted that the two registrations in question were linked for some reason even though they are different airframes so have taken the opportunity to delete 163442 and re-write it. However the images have not appeared. You could try loading one of them again.
If no joy, we may have to wait for an expert!!

Malcolm.

Joop de Groot

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have two problems when entering a picture:

First: when entiering a picture that is not in the database I am forced to enter the data. That's fine. But after the first screen I must enter a security code that is hardly readable. There is no difference visible between capitals and non-capitals. Today I had to try more than five time before I got it right. This is vrey discouraging.

Second: when I finally entered the data and try to upload the picture again I still get the message this profile does not exists. I solved this by opening a second screen. In more than half of the cases I can enter the picture in the second screen (but not always).

As entering one picture may take ten minutes to a quarter of an hourthe system does not encourage people to help to complete the database...

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joop de Groot wrote:

As entering one picture may take ten minutes to a quarter of an hour the system does not encourage people to help to complete the database...

If you upload a picture on to one of the many Aviation sites on the internet that dose not have a profile, you have to produce one before it gets uploaded. So I cannot see what the problem is with producing profiles here. I recently added some images from RNAS Yeovilton, many of which did not have a profile on this site but were all added in a few minutes.

Is the problem in finding the correct info to create a profile? The Admin Team have been discussing about producing a list of links to data bases which we think may help you all with making profiles. Do you think this is a good idea and will it help?

You will find the more profiles you create, the easier it gets. I regularly work through the list of unprofiled images and can do about 30 in 2 hours. ( unpaid, voluntary work and see some amazing pictures ). I also keep an eye on new aircraft deliveries and add new profiles for them before many of you photograph them. Remember, a database has to be made, it dose not just appear from nowhere Confused

as Daniel said

Quote:

it was a big problem where people were being lazy and just posting pictures without entering the data.

If everyone thinks about the time and effort you put into taking and editing your photo's, what's a few minutes extra to produce a profile and improve the data base on this site?

Joop de Groot

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrishall wrote:
Joop de Groot wrote:

As entering one picture may take ten minutes to a quarter of an hour the system does not encourage people to help to complete the database...

You will find the more profiles you create, the easier it gets. I regularly work through the list of unprofiled images and can do about 30 in 2 hours.

I have no problem getting the info to enter. Finding the info in the Internet is the easy part. I consider enering tese info into the system the difficult part.

My point is: as I cannot figure out the difference between capitals and small characters in the security code I must guess which one to choose from. If I make the wrong gamble on one character I must reenter the security code. And again and again and again. Until I get lucky...

I do not understand how you can get past the security code that quickly. For me I do not manage...

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joop de Groot wrote:

My point is: as I cannot figure out the difference between capitals and small characters in the security code I must guess which one to choose from. If I make the wrong gamble on one character I must reenter the security code. And again and again and again. Until I get lucky...

I do not understand how you can get past the security code that quickly. For me I do not manage...

I only use capitals for the security code

Re: Problem with data entry 
Chris Hall

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with data entry Reply with quote

Daniel Compton wrote:

however, I posted a new profile for 163442 today, which was not on the site - Blue Angel #3 this year. I posted the data and went to then post my picture and it wasn't showing up on the drag down list when you post registrations. When I tried posting, of course it prevented me from posting the picture.

Daniel,

did you copy and paste the tail number into the registration box? If so then the drag down list will not appear, try typing it into the box to see if that makes a difference.

Chris

Joop de Groot

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrishall wrote:
Joop de Groot wrote:

I only use capitals for the security code

Life can be so simple...
Thanks for pointing me in this direction. Now all goed fluid..Smile

Florida Metal

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing is still messed up.

The military data I posted last week finally is allowing me to post the pictures this week.

However I added a Copa 737-800 today HP-1533 and even when I go to post the picture, it actually pulls up HP-1533 as existing since I entered, yet the screen comes up denying me to post even though it is showing that the data is there. I will throw this at the bottom and try to post at the end of this series of pictures.

I also agree with Joop De Groot, this security code thing is rediculous. Did we really have that much problem with spammers? It sometimes takes me 3 tries to enter the correct security code, the J's sometimes look like T's, the H's look like X's etc.

These 2 problems are going to discourage people from posting info. I think both need to be looked into

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel.

In response to the comments that both your self and Joop have made regarding the security code - yes, not too many months ago there was a serious problem with spammers and some of the emails were somewhat sordid and inappropriate. Since the introduction of the existing system the problem has gone away.
As Chris has already pointed out, all the letters should be treated as capitals, and whilst I occasionally misread a numeral or letter, I believe that most people will readily read the shapes correctly and on the few occasions when an error is made it takes a matter of seconds to repeat/correct.
I would ask you to persevere a little longer with the system we have. Any changes to simplify/normalise the shapes will make life easier for spammers.

Malcolm.

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Compton wrote:

I also agree with Joop De Groot, this security code thing is rediculous. Did we really have that much problem with spammers? It sometimes takes me 3 tries to enter the correct security code, the J's sometimes look like T's, the H's look like X's etc.

The scripts those spammers use these days to fight captcha (security codes) are quite sophiscated, that's why I boosted the difficulty of our captcha image a fews times in past few years. I guess I have made it too hard fo many people. I will look into it and try to reduce it a bit.

Currently codes in the captcha are always in upcase, as Chris pointed out. I will change the code to case insensitive.

By the way, the forum section use the same captcha system as creating profile pages. It's the forum get most spams.

Ken

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we consider a simpler security code for the upload page only?

Malcolm.

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just changed the captcha to make it easier to read, and changed to case insensitive as well.

Ken

FBE

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin Team,

would it be possible to create a profile without Step2 ? It would be a little easier to have everything done within one mask!

Does anyone know a good site to find assignments of German general aviation registrations? I am close to give up ... Crying or Very sad

Most of my D-XXXX uploads have no profile and I would like to create them, if I could find appropirate information!

Fritz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: