Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
New Aircraft Quiz #4.       

New Aircraft Quiz #4. 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: New Aircraft Quiz #4. Reply with quote

Name the VERY FIRST Production Aircraft of composite construction-specifically Fiberglass-Reinforced Plastic construction throughout the airframe- (without any different material such as carbon in the mix) type-certificated Standard category by the United States FAA, and provide the total production number of original aircraft-excluding any prototypes.

I need the ORIGINAL full name and nomenclature of the aircraft design certificated by the FAA and the engine make and nomenclature and horsepower for you to win this quiz.

Ztex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bölkow Phoebus

250 built

0 horsepower - no enigne?

Timothy Aanerud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beech Aircraft Company,
FAA Type Certificate: A38CE

Number built: 53

Original Name: Beech Starship, Model 2000
Engine: Two (2) United Aircraft of Canada, Ltd., or Pratt & Whitney of Canada PT6A-67A (turboprop) per P&WC Specification No. 950.

Horsepower: 1200

Timothy Aanerud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second guess.

The Windecker AC-7, also known as the Windecker Eagle.
FAA Type Certificate: A7SW
Number built: 9

Engine: Continental IO-520C, 285 b.h.p

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No to Zane-got to have an engine. Please reread the question.

But congrats and a big yes to Timothy on his second submission. The Windecker AC-7 Eagle 1 was the first all composite (FRP) powered aircraft certificated by our FAA. Timothy is fully correct on engine also. The Beechcraft 2000 Starship came later with Burt Rutan's 85% scale proof-of-concept demo flying first in 1983.

The Windecker Eagle 4-seat retractable gear aircraft was developed by Drs. L.J and F. M. Windecker between 1959 and 1960. First flight 1969. That aircraft crashed. Second prototype with reduced structural weight flew nine months later also in 1969, and was certificated by the FAA within three months. Production to the Type Certificate commenced 1970. Seven were built by Windecker.

In 1979, G.P. Dietrick formed Composite Aircraft Corp. to resume production of the Windecker AC-7 Eagle. Apparently, two more were built.

Wingspan: 32'0"
Length: 28'6"
Gross weight: 3,400 lbs.
Max cruise: 204 mph
Max range: 1,232 miles (with FAA reserve).

Interestingly, in the same time frame beginning development in 1962, the only other all composite (plastic) (as the French claim) powered aircraft flying was the Wassmer WA-51 Pacific, a French 4-seat low wing aircraft with fixed tri-gear. Not quite in same category because the WA-51 had a center fuselage light alloy structure with FRP skins. Picky. picky, picky! The WA-51 Pacific had a Lycoming O-320-E2A of 150 Hp. The WA-50 prototype of the WA-51 first flew in 1966.

Thank you for your submissions-the next quiz will be similar and of interest.

Ztex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well rats...I went back and edited my answer to include the Wassmer WE-51 but I guess i forgot to click submit. But I missed the Eagle completely....Timothy has a much better light aircraft brain than I do.

(I did read the question, the glider was a bit of tongue in cheek... thus the zero HP answer Wink Wink )

Timothy Aanerud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first read about the Windecker in a book called Spyplane by David Donald, 1987. The Air Force aircraft were called the Windecker YE-5A. While searching the web I also find these two interesting links on the Windecker:

http://www.eaglebehindthecurtain.com/WindeckerEagle/tabid/55/Default.aspx

http://www.eaglebehindthecurtain.com/WindeckerEagle/N4196G/tabid/60/Default.aspx

and from my previous post, I also found Glenn's excellent photo.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Timothy, for the great Windecker reference, much more info than my capsule. I have several old reference books with the Windecker Eagle listed in them with photos, both British pubs. Now, all nine aircraft after the prototypes appear to be accounted for.

Congrats again for getting it right, and Glenn has fine photos.

Windecker Eagle Flies Again 
Timothy Aanerud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Windecker Eagle Flies Again Reply with quote

Windecker Eagle Flies Again

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/2015-news/12-16-2015-windecker-eagle-flies-again

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Timothy, I also saw that as am an EAA Member. Old quizzes never die, they get rejuvenated!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: