Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Toronto Flying Club (1968 )       

Toronto Flying Club (1968 ) 
JACK STODDART

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Toronto Flying Club (1968 ) Reply with quote

I worked there as a kid, no pay but when there was an empty seat ! It`s a long time ago just looking to see if anyone has pic`s of the old club a/c .
I`ve got cf-ulu - ssn . I`am 57 so I don`t think any of my instructors are around aymore. I did help build the tower there, which is now a storage site for Beamish Construction ............ Thx Jack

Toronto Flying Club - King City, Ontario 
Harold Hodder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Toronto Flying Club - King City, Ontario Reply with quote

Jack;
I learned to fly there, got my private license during 1967. I am now based in North Texas (Carrollton) I leared to fly on Champion 7AC's DND and GVR. I flew ULU with Austin Underbake (spelling?) one time - we went from King City to North Bay return. My instructors during my training were Wayne Donaldson and Bill Hughes. Len McTaggart was the CFI at that time, and he did my final flight test. I have some old pictures stuffed away somewhere in a closet or bottom drawer and I will look for them. Are you byt any chance related to Ed Stoddard - he was the mechanic at that hangar - and yes, i was also there drung the construction and I remember Shultz lifting trusses into place using one of Dominion's choppers.

Hope to hear from you
Kindest regards
Harold Hodder

king city boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, My first paying job of any substance was working for your dad Ed, stitching ribs on DC3 tail parts. I was young and skinny, about 13 or so, and passed needles out both sides back to him and another fellow, who were doing the harder parts on a saturday a long time ago. Your dad was an incredibly skilled man. I have been flying for over 30 years now but learned after I got a job, away from King. My dad kept a tcraft there in the 60's and 70's.
cheers

Re: Toronto Flying Club (1968 ) 
nancyanncowan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Toronto Flying Club (1968 ) Reply with quote

JACK STODDART wrote:
I worked there as a kid, no pay but when there was an empty seat ! It`s a long time ago just looking to see if anyone has pic`s of the old club a/c .
I`ve got cf-ulu - ssn . I`am 57 so I don`t think any of my instructors are around aymore. I did help build the tower there, which is now a storage site for Beamish Construction ............ Thx Jack

Maple Flying Club 
nancyanncowan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Maple Flying Club Reply with quote

Back in the late 1960's I would spend my Sunday afternoons in the pool at Maple Airport. My father was a member at Maple, and later a member at the King City Flying Club as a Social Director, organizing local Air Shows, Fly-Ins and chartered flights to such destinations as the Hamilton Air Show. My father was such a social butterfly...many of his Flying Club buddies often partied at our Family Cottage on the weekends. Myself and my family have some very fond memories and pictures of those days. On May 25, 2013 my Father, Basil Cowan passed away. I'm sure he's enjoying catching-up with friends that passed before him and is 'Flying Above the Clouds'

JACK STODDART

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm replying to ( nancyanncowan ) as to the post Maple Flying Club. Early members of the Toronto Flying Club used to envy Maple in the spring time because of the paved runway, we had to at time teach out of the Island airport until the mud dried up ( later paved ) . Question would you be any relation to the pilot I knew as ' Doc ' Cowan who owned and flew a Republic Seabee CF-DKY ? whom survived a weather related crash upon his return to King City airport from his cottage. I love the term you used ' Above the Clouds ' .........

Jack Stoddart
( snaker@rogers.com )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aircraft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: