Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Yikes... Copyright Issue       

Yikes... Copyright Issue 
Guy Pambrun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Yikes... Copyright Issue Reply with quote

For some reason The copyright info doesn't show up when a picture is expanded. IE: C-FCQJ is one that I just uploaded. When I look at it the copyright info is there but when I click on the picture to enlarge it the copyright info doesn't show. That's not a good thing considering if I or anyone else right clicks the image they have the option to save it.

If you can fix it that's great... if not then I would be forced to upload shots being a much smaller size. I've already had a bunch stolen a few years back and posted by someone else at a different site.

red750

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The copyright bar appears when I open the large version of my photos. I always load at 1024x768

Peter

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy.

The enlarged version of your image appears complete with the copyright info on my computer.
Is this the only image that you have a problem with? It might help for you to check a few others.
The size of your image at 1280 x 853 shouldn't be a problem. Sizes up to 3200 x 2400 are acceptable.

Malcolm.
Admin.

Guy Pambrun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at a few others and the copyright is there but it isn't on the expanded version of the picture I used as an example before.

I'll show you what I mean....

I search C-FCQJ on this site and this comes up which is correct and it shows the copyright.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/001022373.html

When I click on that picture to expand it and the larger version comes up the copyright isn't there on my computer. Here's the link.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/001022373L.html

Try it and let me know what happens at your end.

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy

The copyright bar appears when I view both the small and large images

Chris
Admin

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy.

I don't recall this as having been a problem in the past and as you will see, a significant number of persons have read your post without reporting as having a problem of this kind.

Logically the difficulty appears to lie with your computer but I will raise the matter directly with Ken Wang for a more valued opinion.

Malcolm.
Admin.

Guy Pambrun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it on two other computers. Both are at work and are not tied into mine in any way. The problem is still there.

Edit: I just took a look at it from my personal computer and see it there now. I'll change my settings to make it stand out a bit more.

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Guy was talking about the "Airport-Data.com" watermark, not the copyright info at bottom of image. In his example, the watermark is barely visible when viewing large image. If you try hard, you can see "A" overlap the front windshield.

Ken

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Ken has pointed it out it is clearly visible!

I prefer to locate the watermark in the top of the image where the background is generally less detailed and it stands out.

However, if you take this as an example ...

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/001023645.html

... it can be cropped to a size away from 6 x 4 and even have the size re-established using Photoshop in some situations, but I see the watermark as a deterrent rather than a preventative measure. Also I prefer not to have the object of the image spoilt by a watermark in the interests of the viewer.

Just my tuppence worth!

Malcolm.

Guy Pambrun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airport-Data wrote:
I guess Guy was talking about the "Airport-Data.com" watermark, not the copyright info at bottom of image. In his example, the watermark is barely visible when viewing large image. If you try hard, you can see "A" overlap the front windshield.

Ken

That's exactly what I was talking about. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Guy Pambrun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm Clarke wrote:
Now Ken has pointed it out it is clearly visible!

I prefer to locate the watermark in the top of the image where the background is generally less detailed and it stands out.

However, if you take this as an example ...

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/001023645.html

... it can be cropped to a size away from 6 x 4 and even have the size re-established using Photoshop in some situations, but I see the watermark as a deterrent rather than a preventative measure. Also I prefer not to have the object of the image spoilt by a watermark in the interests of the viewer.

Just my tuppence worth!

Malcolm.

Your comments and suggestions are certainly welcome Malcolm and like you I really don't like to have anything detract from the image. The problem I have with your example is I could clone it out with just a few strokes of my image editor. If it's placed over the image cloning can still be done but it takes much longer. In some cases unless a person is extremely skilled it would be to noticeable making it almost a waste of time. My end goal is to stop the picture thief from stealing my pictures and posting them as their own on other sites. Trust me when I tell you it happens more often than anyone would like to admit and I'm not the only one here that's affected.

The best way to stop it without overlaying on the picture would be for this site to have a way to prohibit downloads and I have no idea if that's possible.

Regardless of the outcome I still like this site as my fav and intent to continue my uploads whenever possible. Presently I reside in a very remote northern part of Canada and my opportunities are slim to almost nil. That will change in the near future I hope.

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy.

If you "Google" - how to stop the copying of internet photos, you will see that there are many other (suggested) ways to protect an image against copying.

These two I found quite interesting.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/protect-online-photos.htm
is somewhat complex

http://skinnyartist.com/stop-stealing-my-images/
is perhaps more 'down to earth'.

However, were there an easy uncomplicated method, we would all know about it and the problem wouldn't exist!

Skinny Artist hits the nail on the head when he says

"..... the bottom line here is that if it’s on the internet and someone wants it bad enough, they can probably get it and you’re not going to be able to stop them."

As we are all aware, the internet is enormous and most of the time copying will go unnoticed. When we do come across it, putting a stop to it is often difficult if not impossible, not that we shouldn't try to do so in some cases.

I'm repeating myself in saying that a watermark is a deterrent, but since my object in uploading images to an aviation website is to share my images with like minded people, marring the image by placing a watermark over the subject seems to me to be counterproductive.

"A very remote northern part of Canada" sounds like my idea of heaven!

Good luck,

Malcolm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: