Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #66       

Aircraft Quiz #66 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #66 Reply with quote

Once upon a time there was a wondrous real aircraft constructed from a recent (at the time) borrowed technology that flew with a flight crew of 8-10. Within were a small printing plant, a photographic studio, a radio broadcast station, a giant sound system, a series of message lights, a movie theater with viewer seating, a cafeteria, an internal telephone exchange and sleeping accommodations for the additional crew. All systems were operational, with seating for up to 72, counting crew and passengers. I am NOT making this up! (Some sources say it also had a laundry, a compounding drug store and a bar).

1. Designer of aircraft?

2a. Nomenclature of the aircraft?

3a. Engines number?, 3b. and kind?, 3c. Horsepower of each engine?

4. Construction technology? Be specific.

5. Number built and flown?

6. Purpose of this aircraft? (May be answered with as little as one word).

As usual, additional valid information will be forthcoming after 500 views, if not answered correctly sooner. This aircraft had several other firsts-also, which will be revealed.

Quiz #66 
Helicopterfriend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Quiz #66 Reply with quote

1. Designed by Andrei Tupolev ANT-20 Maxim Gorky

2. Nomenclature: a Soviet eight-engine aircraft, the largest of the 1930s. Its wingspan was similar to that of a modern Boeing 747.

3a. # of engines was 8, 3b. Mikulin AM-34FRN 3c. 900 hp each Tandem push-pull on top. Later models were equipped with 6 AM-34FRN-Vs 1200 hp

4. All-metal airframe technologies devised by German engineer Hugo Junkers, corrugated sheet metal for many of the airframe's key components, especially the corrugated sheet metal skinning of the airframe. The aircraft could be dismantled and transported by rail if needed.

5. 3 aircraft of this type were built, 1 article said three were constructed and 1 article said 2 were constructed, not too sure how many were constructed.

6. Stalinist propaganda

In a first in aviation history the aircraft was equipped with a ladder which would fold on itself to become part of the floor.

Another first for the plane is that it used both direct current and alternating current.

ANT20.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.57 KB
 Viewed:  3850 Time(s)

ANT20.jpg

Last edited by Helicopterfriend on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did the other two examples of this aircraft end up?

I know about the big crash in 1935 and the follow-up crash in 1942 with the ANT-20bis, but I had not heard of any other planes of this type..

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My congratulations to Walt, with correct answers in about 4 hours from my quiz posting.

The first Tupolev ANT-20 MAXIM GORKII of 1934 in Soviet Russia was initially built with just six tractor V-12 piston engines, wing mounted, but was found to be under-powered, hence the addition of the upper fuselage mounted pod/pylon holding an additional tractor and tandem pusher V-12 engine. When built, it was the largest aircraft in the world.

It was built solely for celebrating the career of Russian writer Maxim Gorkii (or Gorky) at the urging of the Union of Soviet Writers and Editors for propaganda purposes, and to show the world Russia had built and flown the largest airplane. It was paid for by public subscription and toured the far reaches of the otherwise inaccessible areas of the USSR. There were four smaller auxiliary engines aboard to drive the huge output PA system, and illuminate lights for spelling out propaganda slogans at night.

I am uncertain about the number built; my reference suggests only two. The eight-engine version ANT-20 came to an untimely end when in a group flight demonstration, including a Tupolev ANT-14, an I-5 and a R-5, the Polikarv I-5 Russian fighter attempted a third barrel roll around it, then clipping a wing and downing both aircraft. The fighter pilot, all aboard the ANT-20 and three on the ground perished.

A second ANT-20bis version flew first in 1938. it crashed in 1942 with all 36 aboard killed. It had six larger engines than the ANT-20.

Here are my answers-references may vary somewhat.

1. Andrei Tupolev.

2. Tupolev ANT-20 MAXIM GORKII.

3a. Eight, 3b. Mikulin AM-34FRN V-12 piston engines, 3c. 900 Hp each.

4. All sheet metal corrugated construction for many areas of construction, following the technology of the German Hugo Junker.

5. My sources say just two built.

6. Propaganda.

Specifications

Crew: 8-10 with 72 passengers.

Powerplant: Eight Mikulin AM-34FRN V-12 piston engines 900 Hp each

Wingspan: 206 ft 8 in.

Length: 106 ft 6 in.

Height: 36 ft 11 in.

Weight: 92,595 lbs

Cruise speed: 137 mph

And thanks Walt, for that great photo. I only had black and white ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: