Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #84.       

Aircraft Quiz #84. 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #84. Reply with quote

Name a light civil aircraft that once carried a frightened baby elephant, slashing a four hour dusty journey by vehicle to 45 minutes by air. (This feat was documented, happened prior to 1973).

1a. Aircraft Make?, 1b. Model? in generic terms suffices.

2. Game Preserve name?

This true quiz may be my oddest/weirdest yet.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not found this particular incident yet, but I am finding a lot of information on the tranquilizer dosage for air transport of large mammals. I'm guessing that part one is going to be a Cessna 172, similar to the 2013 incident in Chad/Cameroon.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A baby elephant's gestation period is almost 22 months and at birth weighs about 200 pounds and is 3 feet tall. Picture that. Probably a tough squeeze for a C-172. Perhaps little or no anesthesia or tranquilizer was used for the short flight in question as the baby elephant was described as frightened. Maybe recommending blinders over the elephant's eyes?

Please keep trying.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... maybe a 210 then? Its a bit bigger..
I still have not found the actual record of this event and I probably won't before heading off to Sun N Fun next week. Looking forward to the reveal at 500!

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As radio announcers say, "Stay Tuned!" The answers will be revealed if no correct answers in 500 views. Meanwhile, have fun and sun at Fun N Sun next week! You are a lucky guy! and I as always appreciate your quiz interest here.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the customary 500 views with no correct answers, here are the answers.

1a. Piper Aircraft Co., 1b. Piper PA-32-260 CHEROKEE SIX.

2. East Africa's Masai Mara Game Preserve.

The Rift Valley between Nairobi and Keekorok was a dusty four-hour journey by car but just 45 minutes by aircraft. The photo I reference shows the baby elephant approaching the aircraft door with tail askew (wagging probably) and a crouching young woman in the door. It seems apparent the elephant was probably not sedated for the short journey.

I knew it was a Piper aircraft as it is in the book "Mr. Piper and His Cubs" by Devon Francis published in 1973 by The Iowa State University Press, Ames Iowa. I identified the exact aircraft by the door shape and the oval 260 logo on the side color bar having initially rejected the Apache or Aztec PA-23s from the partial aircraft photo because their doors don't match the photo and no production PA-23 aircraft had a 260 Hp engine.

The 256 page book is highly recommended for its in-depth study of Piper Aircraft Co. from its onset and all production to the copyright date. Highly illustrated and probably the definitive history of Piper Aircraft from onset to publication date written by Devon Francis, an aircraft pilot. The foreword by the late General Mark W. Clark who served in both world wars I and II is a tribute to the Piper Founder Wm. T. Piper and and his aircraft successes. I thank all who viewed this quiz.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: