Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #90       

Aircraft Quiz #90 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #90 Reply with quote

Name an all metal sleek low wing 4-place STOL aircraft that achieved that attribute with slotted flaps and full load four aboard. The STOL characteristics were specifically achieved with Handley Page slats and slotted flaps. The aircraft was considered aerobatic with two aboard in front seats. Only four aircraft were built, with 20 production orders received.

1. Full name/nomenclature of the aircraft?

2A. Engine make, 2B. nomenclature and 2C. horsepower?

3. Bonus for month/year of first flight.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing this is an early monoplane?
I've not found the answer yet, but I did stumble across the Rutan Grizzly, which is a neat little plane.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but no and please keep trying. The answers may surprise.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With over 250 views and no right answers, here are the answers.

1. Cook JC-1 CHALLENGER

2. Lycoming O-320-E2A 150 Hp.

3. First flight: May 1969.

John Cook founded the Cook Aircraft Corp. in the Torrance, California area. First flight by Founder/Test Pilot Cook was in May, 1969 after two prototypes were built. The third JC-1 prototype crashed, killing the test pilot and founder John Cook. By the Spring of 1972 only the one prototype had flown. The fourth modified prototype was not certificated by the FAA although 20 orders had been received by the company for production JC-1 Challengers. The company folded in the mid 1970s, perhaps due to the loss of founder Cook.

Interestingly, a Cook JC-1 Challenger N21CA that flew is still in the FAA Registration records as cancelled, based on a recent look. Apparently, no production JC-1 Challenger was ever certificated by the then Federal Aviation Agency.

In flight at some distance the Cook Challenger could be mistaken for a Piper PA-28 series, although the JC-1 of fixed tri-gear was somewhat smaller, had slightly different side cockpit windows shapes and had a more prominent fixed metal fairing from fuselage center line to the leading edge of the fixed vertical stabilizer-this differed from concurrent PA-28s.

One 1969 reference put the Cook Aircraft Company in Walteria, Caifornia with a Zip code of 90505. I have lived in California since 1966 (ignoring prior 1950s Naval Aviation basing), and cannot find any mapped town of Walteria, although the entire Zip Code of 90505 is presently wholly within Torrance, which has a substantial airport-Zamperini Field (KTOA). Robinson Helicopters are built there now. And Hi-Shear Corp. builder of aviation rivets, etc was formerly based there before moving to the east coast. Old-timers here may remember more on Hi-Shear in one of my earlier quizzes.

Cook JC-1 Specifications

Wingspan: 27' 0'
Length: 22' 8"
Gross weight: 2,150 lbs
Cruising speed: 125 mph
Top speed: 150 mph
Max range 691 miles
STOL takeoff-620 ft.
STOL landing-400 ft
STOL figures at gross weight
Seats-Four.
Aerobatic with two aboard.

I thank all who viewed this quiz.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I never would have guessed that aircraft.

Walteria, CA was an unincorporated area south of Torrance that got swallowed up after WWI.
See this page: http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history/2011/05/03/torrance-annexations/

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the most interesting link, it apparently questions time-wise one of the Web's Cook Aircraft Company references of mine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: