Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Rate Limiting...       

Rate Limiting... 
dsfh2992

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Rate Limiting... Reply with quote

Hello,

I am running adsbexchange.com which is based on VRS. I notice that occasionally, pictures from airport-data do not load and I assume I'm getting the 429 "rate limit exceeded" error.

Can someone tell me:

1. What is the rate limit?

2. Is there any way this restriction could be lifted or allow me to serve/cache the thumbnails myself?

Dan

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

The current limit is 120 request within one hour.

If I understand correctly, you only use API to retrieve aircraft thumbnails on Global Radar View, which is the same as VRS. So you were switching between aircraft until you reach the limit. As the request initiate from the browsing computer instead of the web server, I'll have to increase global limit if you find the limit disturbing.

Nice site by the way.

Ken

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to mention, I recall Andrew, the author of VRS, told me that VRS has a built-in cache for thumbnails.

Ken

dsfh2992

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, ok, great, thanks for the detailed clarification.

Is displaying the thumbnails violating any sort of copyright, or is that allowed? Since it's built in to VRS, I assume it's OK. ?

Dan

dsfh2992

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the request actually initiates from the web server itself, not the client. For this reason, I am always up against the rate limit.

I sent a PM to you. Perhaps we could work out a solution for this special use case?

Thanks,
Dan
adsbexchange.com

dsfh2992

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ping.....

Any way to raise the limit for a specific IP? I'd be willing to contribute financially if server load is the issue....

ryanburnette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested in a higher limit for the API.

red750

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it appears that this site is running like Helios Flt 522 - crew unconscious at the controls - waiting to run out of gas. So many requests ignored or unanswered.

Unanswered or ignored requests 
Helicopterfriend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Unanswered or ignored requests Reply with quote

Most of the requests have to be handled by Ken. Chris, Malcolm and I can take care of corrections, moving of pictures, rejecting pictures, etc, etc. If it has to do with the way the program runs or limits access, KEN has to take care of that.

Believe me, we're not unconscious waiting to run out of gas, we're limited in what we can do.

Sorry about that

Walt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: