Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Michigan Airports       

Michigan Airports 
armyblkhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Michigan Airports Reply with quote

I was wondering how to go about this question I am trying to research.

I am a representative of the Michigan Army National Guard. I am trying to contingency plan for unexpected Natural Disasters in the State. The most likely crippling scenario we were to have would involve a massive power outage for a duration of longer than a week or two. If this scenario were to take place, I was wanting to know if any of you could point me in the right direction for a possible resource to see if any airports in the state have their fuel systems operating on contingency power or is the most likely scenario entail that I would have to call or visit each of them to get the answer I am looking for. In this day and age, calling on the phone and asking this question could be alarming to some. Not sure how to constructively go about this. Any advice or current resources would be helpful, thank you

Florida Metal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about Michigan even though I originally come from there. I would assume at least some of the bigger airports like Detroit DTW, Grand Rapids etc probably have some sort of back up generator.

Being that I live in Florida now and work at a large general aviation airport. We lost our power during Hurricane Irma. Pretty much after Hospitals and and 9/11 dispatch and other emergency services, airports come next on the priority list for repairs. The major airports have generators that would kick in so quick during an outage, the passengers there wouldn't even notice. At my airport particularly (which I am not going to name but it is in Central Florida somewhere) had generators to run the tower, lighting and fuel. The FBOs had their own generators. The only areas at the airport that lost power during Irma were our ops office, where we had a portable generator to run some things and some of the hangars and gates on one side of the field.

Not sure how I could answer for airports directly in the path of a Cat 4/5 Hurricane like some airports in the Panhandle after Michael that were likely leveled.

In the case of the natural disaster I am assuming that most commercial airports would run on generators (at least essential like tower, lights, fuel and terminals for passenger) and they will run as long as there is enough diesel to run the generators. Not sure if Michigan has the policy like Florida for putting airports at the top of restoring power after hospitals, water treatment, nursing homes etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Airports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: