Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz No. 108       

Aircraft Quiz No. 108 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz No. 108 Reply with quote

The aircraft I am thinking of "launched a new era in the annals of American aircraft manufacture." There can only be ONE correct answer to this quiz. What was the aircraft make and model?

(Don't even consider the Wright Flyer!) Rolling Eyes

moxy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it fully incorporated for the first time, a fully cantilivered wing, retractable undercarriage, trim tabs, de-icer boots for the tailplane and wings and semi-monocoque construction together with an auto-pilot, I will go for the Boeing 247.

I could be wrong Doug.

Rob

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the try, Rob. Please keep trying. This quiz probably ranks high on the difficulty scale.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is time to reveal Quiz 108's answer.

On March 29 of 1927, the Buhl-Verville "J4 AIRSTER", CA-3 had the distinction in the USA with some fanfare of being awarded the very first civil production aircraft Approved Type Certificate A.T.C. #1 by the newly instituted "Aeronautics Branch" of the Department of Commerce. There was no Federal Aviation Administration back then.

The purpose was to recognize under the Commerce Act of 1916 Federal supervision of airworthiness of production aircraft. The Approved Type Certificate became a regulatory measure of an aircraft and then first was made compulsory of production aircraft for sale. For the first time in America some compulsory standards of aircraft manufacture for sale were established.

The Buhl-Verville J4 AIRSTER was powered by one Curtiss OX-5 8 cylinder vee engine of 200 hp while later in 1927 at least three Airster J5 models were powered by a new J5 Whirlwind engine which was rated up to 220 Hp.

The Airsters were biplane tail draggers with tandem open cockpit seating for two and fixed landing gear. America was then entertained by air shows of speed, races if you will, becoming popular with the new transportation mode attracting many to see aircraft take off, climb and fly with speeds exceeding automobiles.

Alfred Victor Verville designed the J4 Airster after earlier biplane designs. He prior worked for Glenn Curtiss. He designed his first airplane in 1915.

Specifications-J4 AIRSTER

Wingspan upper and lower-35 feet
Chord of both wings-60 inches
Wing area-300 square ft.
Airfoil-Clark Y
Length overall-25 ft.
Height-9 ft.
Width with wings folded-13.5 feet
Empty weight-1,415 lbs.
Useful load-885 lbs.
Payload-440 lbs.
Gross weight-2,300 lbs.
Max speed-125+ mph
Cruise-110 mph
Landing-42 mph
Climb rate-950 ft/min.
Ceiling-16,000 ft
Fuel capacity-40 gallons
Approximate range-440 miles

Of interest-the upper and lower wings were interchangeable, also various tail parts-fixed and controllable. The wings were foldable by two men in less than 5 minutes.
The landing gear was of split-axle type employing oleo struts and rubber compression discs.

Price at factory-J4 AIRSTER $9,300 without folding wings-with $300 extra. Brakes were $500 extra. Dual controls were $90 extra.

I thank all who were perplexed by this quiz.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: