Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Curious about new aircraft profiles       

Curious about new aircraft profiles 
Canonman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Curious about new aircraft profiles Reply with quote

Granted, I’m the new kid on the block and probably shouldn’t say what I’m going to say, I bet it gets deleted rapidly. I want to know why people who find their aircraft profile does not match the aircraft they have pictured. WHY can’t they add the profile instead of making it a forum statement about it not being a correct profile or add it to the “Data Correction” forum for either a moderator or other member to add that profile. If you have the aircraft information just ADD ANOTHER (profile) for your picture.

I have had to really look around for some of the profiles I have had to come by (especially military) and have had the good fortune to have a couple of our members give me suggested sites to find the profile information.

How many moderators or administers do we have that try to keep the site correct? Haven’t seen too many working here, is the site still moderated?

Gremlin 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Gremlin Reply with quote

It is not quite that simple. A number of times I have clicked once on the absolutely correct aircraft registration, but a different aircraft comes up in its place when my upload shows. This gremlin has been around for a long time. It happened to me again once just yesterday.

Gremlin 
Canonman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Gremlin Reply with quote

Doug, my post was not in reference to the gremlin you discuss, but when there is only one profile for the aircraft these people have photos of, they say the profile is in error and they won't make a new profile, or they list the profile in a ticket requesting to change the profile instead of making new one. They will list the profile in Data Correction and AGAIN it has nothing to do with the gremlin you are discussing.

red750

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you select a profile, if it is not the aircraft you want, you can create a new profile by clicking in the left hand column - see below. Aircraft registrations are recycled, so the same registration may have a number of linked profiles.

a-d add new profile.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.88 KB
 Viewed:  4659 Time(s)

a-d add new profile.JPG

Gremlin 
red750

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Gremlin Reply with quote

The most disappointing thing about this arrangement is when you are looking for an image of an aircraft. Let's say you are looking for a Supercat photo. You search Supercat in the Model field on the home page. A list of Supercat profiles is given, with a camera icon against N5066N. You click on the N5066N, and the photo relates to the Beech B300C that shared the registration. No image of the Supercat.

I know this will never be fixed, just like the other outstanding items that don't get fixed, like details of new airports which haven't been updated for five years or more. This sounds like I am angry, but more disappointed than angry. Maybe the site should be called airport-out-of-date-data.com.

Apologize for the rant.

New profile 
Canonman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: New profile Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining what I was trying to say about new profiles, I appreciate your help

Florida Metal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of errors that we can't fix and only a mod can do in terms of moving pictures etc to the right locations. some people will just post a picture under the wrong aircraft entirely. In some cases they might have a picture of a Citation CJ4, where the company that owns it used to have a CJ3 and the profile is still of the CJ3. That mix up can be understandable for someone who doesn't know the difference between the same family of biz jets. However when you have someone posting a new Cessna 172 that wears the tail number of what used to be a T-6 under the T-6 profile, without building a new profile for the 172, that's pure laziness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: