Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Website Down      Goto page 1, 2  Next 

Website Down 
jhoannarango

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Website Down Reply with quote

Hello,

I am sure everyone who comes to this site regularly noticed that the website was down last week, for about a week or two. I am curious if this is an issue that often happens. At some point I had given up thinking that the site was down for good.

I understand that things like these may happen from time to time, but there was no way of communication about the issue or where to get that information.

My question is, if something like this happens again, is there anyone that can be contact so that we can bring it to that persons attention? Perhaps they do not visit the website often and do not notice that the site is down. Or is there anything that can be done to help the website running 24/7?

I am willing to volunteer some of my time to help with this issue if someone wants to contact me about it please let me know.

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Wang is the owner of the site and can be contacted on info@airport-data.com

Dave Turpie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site goes down a few times a year and I have never seen any communication. I have decided to primarily use another site which has a selection process and the quality of the pictures is considerably better than many posted here.

Florida Metal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It went down for quite a while last January or so, down for several weeks. I was able to get ahold of Ken and talked to him a little. He must have gotten it up and running. It is frustrating, especially when you invested now 12 years and 100,000+ pictures to a site only to wonder if it is down for good. I also post on netairspace, however they got hacked last summer and they were down for several weeks too. Fortunately they had everything backed up and they had to change domain names. The other fortunate thing is they are very active on their facebook site so they can communicate there. I don't think airport-data has a facebook site anymore, or it is completely dead now.

Florida Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here we go again with the website acting up

Website Down 
Helicopterfriend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Website Down Reply with quote

Can't get into members area to make corrections, the other parts seem to function properly

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken to Mr Wang.

Because of the growing number of aircraft profiles and the large number of uploaded images, the database is "overflowing".

He is now planning to move to a larger server and some patience and understanding from members is warranted at this time.

Malcolm Clarke
Administration.

Dave Turpie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some pictures that are uploaded which are of very low quality. If members would delete some of their poor quality or nearly duplicate photos, that might help the ongoing server issues. Just a thought. I have no intention of offending anyone.

Guy Pambrun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm Clarke wrote:
I have spoken to Mr Wang.

Because of the growing number of aircraft profiles and the large number of uploaded images, the database is "overflowing".

He is now planning to move to a larger server and some patience and understanding from members is warranted at this time.

Malcolm Clarke
Administration.

As a courtesy when this site goes down there should be an announcement of some sort advising when it should be up and running again.
This site exists not only because of the owner but because of the participation of many people that upload their pictures as well as update information.
By not doing so all that's happening is creating a great deal of animosity and ill-will which as you know causes people to leave for other venues.

Florida Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Turpie wrote:
There are some pictures that are uploaded which are of very low quality. If members would delete some of their poor quality or nearly duplicate photos, that might help the ongoing server issues. Just a thought. I have no intention of offending anyone.

I agree unless it is something very rare or classic. I have some low quality stuff from the 80s with film cameras when I was a kid but it's stuff you won't see anymore like United DC-8s, Concordes etc mostly from bad scans too.

Maybe we need to do something also about restricting size further. I forgot what the max size was for pictures, but I thought it was pretty high perhaps nothing over 1600 x 2000 or even lower

While I was looking through some old pictures to post I have found that I do have some duplicates that weren't caught. I ended up deleting 50 or so, but with over 100,000 of my own shots that really isn't noticeable.

Dave Turpie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I try to upload a picture, I get the following message. Server had a temporary error. Please try again later. Any idea on what the issue is? It's been like this for a couple of weeks.

Site down 
Canonman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Site down Reply with quote

Malcolm, did Mr Wang say when we could start uploading pictures, I keep getting an error.

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted Mr Wang once more, making him aware of the photo upload problem and asking him when is it likely to be resolved.

I am also having difficulties editing the site, oddly in deleting unacceptable photos which may contribute toward a resolution!

May I bring to the attention of all who upload, the conditions shown on the upload page, one of which is the requirement that the size of images must not be less than 800 x 600.
All photos in the database which do not meet this requirement are likely to be deleted.
IMO tightly cropping around the aircraft omits the background, the inclusion of which often contributes to the interest and value of the image.

The generally accepted cropping ratio is 6 x 4 (4 x 6) to a size of 1024 x 683 or a crop ratio of 4 x 3 to a size of 1024 x 768. These sizes will result in an image size of between 500Kb and 1Mb, well within the maximum allowed.
The full size screen image would be approximately 30cm x 20cm.

Site down 
Helicopterfriend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Site down Reply with quote

Malcolm, if you talk with Mr Wang again, can you ask him to help clear the extremely large back logs of tickets entered, when we were hacked. Maybe this is also involved in the problem

Site down 
Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Site down Reply with quote

I have an email this morning from Mr Wang to say that the problem is fixed and the site should now be functioning normally.

Walt.
He also reports that he has deleted spam entries from ticket database but this does not seem to be the case.
I will email him again.

Malcolm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: