Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #63       

Aircraft Quiz #63 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #63 Reply with quote

Name the first sleek aircraft in our World of a major manufacturer that was initially built of welded metal frame and fabric, then later of all-metal construction of the same configuration and shape, causing it to have a changed official designation with a different engine.

1. Builder?

2a. Original designation?, and 2b. first Year of construction?

3a. Original engine make?, and 3b. horsepower?

4a. Changed designation?, and 4b. first Year of construction?

5a. Changed engine make?, and 5b. horsepower.

6. Total aircraft built?

And no. it was not Luscombe, nor Globe/Temco.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug- By sleek, am I right to assume this means enclosed engine, streamlined fuselage, non-corrugated wings?

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on all your named aeronautical attributes.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I record another Quiz stumper with over 500 views and no answers.

By the end of WWII, over 300,000 combat aircraft had been produced by the big American aircraft manufacturers, costing over $447 billion. These included Bell, Boeing, Consolidated, Curtiss, Douglas, Grumman, Martin, North American Aviation, Northrop and Vought among the larger players. And there were also Aeronca, Bellanca, Interstate, Monocoupe, Piper, Ryan, Stinson and Taylorcraft building combat liaison L- birds-(some as few as one officially-but that might be another quiz subject) and invasion gliders.

William T. Piper, Sr. envisioned, as did many other small 2-4 place personal aircraft manufacturers, a massive peacetime bonanza in sales and many new potential pilots returning to civilian life. He therefore brought out several new designs.

The so-called GI Bill for paid education of returning serviceman to civilian life in aviation initially funded for the Private Pilot certificate but that soon changed when it was found that many of those getting the Private did not take further aircraft instruction, nor buy light aircraft in the numbers expected. So, the GI Bill was overhauled to ONLY fund aircraft ratings BEYOND the Private (which now had to be paid for by the returning GIs themselves). The revised bill would pay for the Instrument rating, a Commercial Pilot rating, a twin engine endorsement, etc. within a certain time frame-2 years as I recall. (Exact time figure would be welcomed.)

Piper Aircraft of Lockhaven, PA brought out several new aircraft designs in anticipation of huge aircraft sales after the war. Taking the ERCO Ercoupe as a model, the Piper two-place twin-boom SKY COUPE with pusher engine and fixed tricycle landing gear was one such prototype, but it did not fly well. Piper's SKYCYCLE was another prototype, fashioned from a jettisonable droppable fuel tank used by the US Navy Corsair fighter-bomber. A hole was cut in the top for a cockpit, enclosed in a bubble canopy, an engine bolted to the nose, with a fin, tailplane, rudder and elevator at the back end. However, the canopy flew off in flight, destroying the airflow over the tail and became almost unmanageable, especially with an un-experienced pilot.

Then there was the Piper SKY SEDAN of this quiz, a four place low cantilevered elliptical wing initially with welded tube and fabric aircraft with retractable air-oil shock absorbers landing gear, powered in second aircraft by an enclosed Continental six cylinder opposed 205 Hp engine, that could fly at 160 mph. Did you ever think i would get back to this quiz?.

Here are the answers.

1 Piper Aircraft

2a. Piper PWA-6 SKY SEDAN (for Post-War Aircraft-6th Piper design). , 2b. 1945 construction and first flight-1945.

3a. Continental E-165., 3b. 165 Hp.

4a. Piper PA-6 SKY SEDAN., 4b. 1947

5a. Continental E-185., 5b. 205 hp

6. Total aircraft built-Two.

The Sky Sedan initially had welded tube and fabric construction. the second aircraft was all aluminum fuselage, wings and tail, The first aircraft had a flat, two piece raked windshield with center frame which was changed to a curved, single piece windshield on the second aircraft. The sleek canopy had side windows for both seat rows and a rear window as well, quite attractive and modern-looking, when compared with tube and fabric high wing taildraggers of the era.

What doomed the further development or any production was Piper's balance sheet after the war which just could not support certification or production of the PA-6 SKY SEDAN. Piper Aircraft had OK cash flow, but profit of only 2.9 as a percent of sales. Slim, indeed. Production did continue of the J-3 and the PA-12 and -14 Cruisers, while the J-4 Coupe was dropped from further production.

Piper PWA-6 Initial Specs

Powerplant: one Continental E-165 165 Hp
Crew: one pilot
Three additional seats
Length: 26'0"
Height: 7'0"
Wingspan: 34'8"
Max speed: 160 mph

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the registration number of the sole flying Piper PWA-6 SKY SEDAN prototype was NX580, as so marked. I have a photograph of it in flight, no doubt a Piper photo; it is in a copyrighted book by author Devon Francis, "Mr. Piper And His Cubs", The Iowa University Press, Ames Iowa, 1973.

Highly recommended reading in 256 pages, including extensive Index and many photos! If you can, search for and find this book with complete history of all Piper aircraft to date of publication! The Foreword tribute is by Gen. Mark W. Clark, a multiple Commanding General and UN Statesman serving both in WWI and WWII. My copy long-owned with original flyleaf was found used for 75 cents.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: