Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #70       

Aircraft Quiz #70 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #70 Reply with quote

Name the rocket-powered military interceptor of plywood fuselage construction with retractable wheeled main gear AND retractable ski undercarraige for winter use. Fuel was a volatile mixture of red fuming nitric acid and kerosene. The first takeoff used the skis. Fifty were already being built PRIOR to the third prototype's crash on the type's seventh flight.

1. Country of origin?

2. Factory of design/production?

3. Aircraft name/nomenclature?

4a. Powerplant name/nomenclature?, 4b. Rated Lb-thrust?

5. Full date of first rocket-powered flight?

6. What was the ABSOLUTE FIRST of this aircraft? Be specific.

7. How many aircraft were completed?

moxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the following fits the bill.

1. Russia

2. OKB-293 Viktor Bolkholvitinov Design Bureau

3. Bereznyak-Isayev BI-1

4a. Dushkin-Isayev DI-A-1100 pressure-fed liquid fuel rocket motor

4b. 2425 lbf thrust

5. 15th May 1942

6. First liquid fuelled rocket engined fighter to be flown in the USSR.

7. Eight

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rob, you have done it quickly again, and I salute you for it. I have only minor differences/clarifications with your answers, which will be explained.

Question 4a., my source nomenclature on the rocket engine is as follows: Dushkin/Shtokolov D-1A-1100. Thrust is your same answer.

Question 6. True, yet the Bereznyak-Isayev BI was the World's FIRST manned aircraft powered by a liquid-fueled rocket motor. Russia happened to claim that distinction.

My source states only seven BI aircraft were completed. However, as the program slipped in priority it became purely experimental. One additional aircraft with nomenclature BI-6 was tested, having wingtip ramjets added in an attempt to extend the very short endurance, but this was not successful. That may account for eight aircraft. The BI, however, did constitute a lead over Germany's Luftwaffe at the time.

Re Question 2. Aleksandr Bereznyak and Aleksi Isayev proposed a rocket-powered interceptor on 9 July 1941, and the first flight of the BI was as a glider on 10 September 1941. Relocation due to Germany's advance into Russia delayed the first rocket-powered flight of the BI until 10 September 1941.

Fifty BIs were in already build despite lack of test data when the third BI prototype crashed on the type's seventh flight. Unusual, but the advancing enemy in Russian territory perhaps could explain the program haste.

Specifications-BI

Crew: one
Powerplant: one 10.78kN (1,425 lb-thrust Dushkin/Shtokolov D-1A-1100 rocket motor
Max speed: estimated 900km/h (559 mph)
Max Altitude; unknown
Wingspan: 21ft 8in
Length: 21 ft 9 in
Height: unknown
Weight: maximum 1,683kg, (3,710lb)
Fuel: at full power 705kg (1,554 lb) of fuel were consumed in two minutes!

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting aircraft. All of the early rocket planes seem to have been built on a combination of: fast / agile / dangerous. I don't think acidic fuels and aircraft engines rendered unusable after a few flights would work out so well today.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is an interesting comment, and true. As my late Grandmother on my late Mom's side used to warn us, "If you play with fire, you get burned."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: