Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
I got a 'Remove the pic of my plane or I'll sue' e-mail.....      Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography

Ztex

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been stopped at airports and told I have a "weird" hobby by cops and TSA

I have been told that as well.... Rolling Eyes

Most people think everyone elses hobby is weird...ever been to a Renaissance festival? or a cat show? I collect beer bottle caps...but that has a nice bonus feature Laughing

NBC did their best to both make fun of and understand our hobby a while back...
Al Roker is a turd....

http://www.nbc.com/news-sports/today-show/today-tries-out-plane-spotting/

hobby 
Bluedharma

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: hobby Reply with quote

beer bottle caps... hmmm...
That sounds like a hobby for me to start right now.
Regards,

http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/Bluedharma;1045/
bluedharmaairportdata@gmail.com

davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw my two cents worth into what has been a very popular subject. First, unless you post your personal information on airport-data.com (i.e. your mailing/residence address), how are they going to know where to send the legal notice that you've been sued? Second, everyone always says they'll sue. It's all a bunch of hooey. Make them sue you. Make them spend their hard earned money on lawyer's fees. Then, if they somehow manage to find where you live and actually have a process server personally hand you papers, then simply delete the photo(s) and make the whole process a moot point. The jackass causing all the problems will be out several hundred dollars in lawyer's fees while you're out nothing. Talk about a pyhrric victory!

Daniel L. Berek

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no grounds for a lawsuit whatsoever. One can even take candid pictures of people in public places. I have even had a police officer threaten me, but there was not a thing he could do, as I was not trespassing or violating anyone's privacy, or even doing anything that could be in any way construed as a security risk, such as taking a picture of the entrance to a military installation. These loudmouthed bullies can scream all they want, but there is nothing they can do.

Besides how effective can an attorney be if he or she corresponds via e-mail, rather than a certified letter. Gimme a break! This guy's threat isn't worth the pixels it was written on.

Dean Heald

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave your photo up on the site if you want to. That person has no right to make you remove it. What can be seen by the human eye from a public location is legal to photograph.

Re: Been there, done that. Had something equally ignorant ha 
Tigherland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Been there, done that. Had something equally ignorant ha Reply with quote

AirportBum Scott wrote:
I'm probably late on the response and I did not read all the post, but it sounds too like he wants "all info removed" as though you have something to do with the FAA related information regarding his aircraft. I think he fails to understand that the information on his aircraft is open record. Unless he request otherwise, his pilots license info is also public domain.

I ran into something similar to this where a picture was being used for financial gain, and they got it off of one of those "pay for picture" websites, but it was clearly not paid for. I asked for my picture credentials to be displayed more prominently, and they became belligerent. It was at that point that I contacted a lawyer and was given legal advice. I again repeated that I am not asking for compensation, but the credentials to be displayed and be done with it, or not to use the picture at all. To this they came at me with I was trespassing and lacked permission to take a picture of their plane (it was at a fly-in that was open to the public) They believed the guise that "it was there plane, coincidentally the airport owned the plane, he was the airport owner, and therefore, it's their image." I then threatened legal action (I actually didn't have a strong case, don't be fooled with the copyright laws and the copyrights per website, one is free and not binding, the other one requires a payment of $35 per picture to actually copyright, not to mention any red tape and wait time. A lot of people think that their image is safe under a webpage's terms of use; sadly it is NOT, however, it's rarely a huge issue.) and contacted the webmaster to get it removed and to find out the process of how they obtain their photos. The webmaster stated that they used the correct channels for obtaining the picture, which it was at that point that I said "oh really.." and provided them with the link, my data, and EXIF data, and I requested their insurance information for the Webmaster and the people using my image. Needless to say, that "legal talk" of asking them for their insurance information was enough to finally make things happen and the picture was off the webpage within seconds.

People think incorrectly that pictures of aircraft are private matters. I have been stopped at airports and told I have a "weird" hobby by cops and TSA. Others wrongly assume that taking pictures of airplanes violates some sort of TSA post 9/11 act. The general public is in a sense doing their part to be vigilante, but at the same time, most are incredibly naive and ignorant to what the laws actually state.

Not to give attention to the "other" website (to which I have not had a picture accepted since 2004 and consequentially have boycott) here is the picture that I speak of.
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=152888&nseq=0

I agree with you on the other sites. I have kept from them too. I had several great photos and they were turned down becuase so much editign was required from them. I don't have time to eidt everyone of my photos to a musuem quality. Sure I wil do my best. But to my surprise I have seen other photos that were giving the thumbs up and some of these pics, the sun was blocking or other bad things. I have been here for over three and I love it.

This is a tough one 
Tigherland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: This is a tough one Reply with quote

There are a lot of reason for this request. Maybe he was supposed to be in one place and he was in another. Maybe his wife lives in one area and his girlfriend in another. Or maybe he doesn't have a pilots license anymore and he's still flying. Or maybe there has been an insurance claim and this plane is not supposed to be able to fly anymore, or he maybe hiding this plane from the IRS an he is trying to keep in on the down low, or he maybe hasn't made a payment on this and the repo man is after itl Or maybe he is the Barefoot Bandit from the Bahama Island's and a first real clue has came to light. The list can go on and on. But for whatever the case it must be awful interesting to know.

Picture Taking Rights 
WildRicer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Picture Taking Rights Reply with quote

Another aviation forum has been having a major discussion about another aspect of this ... photographers rights and what the Public/LE/TSA thinks they "know".
Bert Krages has a Photographers Rights document that pretty well spells things out.
Other points that have been made about this aspect are state and local statutes may apply so it wouldn't hurt to find out; plus, why not get to know the local security folks at your favorite airfield and let them know you are out there.
Regarding Mr. "I'll Sue"? The temptation would be so strong to tell inform him that I am sending my attorney, the well known O.K. Sosume, copies of all his and his "attorney's" communications for a counter suit.
Tigherland
Quote:
But for whatever the case it must be awful interesting to know.
I agree.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a curious email via this site (with aircraft link-perhaps link unknown to him) from a Arizona attorney a short time after photographing a visiting aircraft from that state. He stated he had been searching for me for some time "as I was named as an heir to a deceased."

There was no attorney address or phone number in the email. Immediately suspicious, I looked him up and found he had a one star rating (out of five stars highest) both from California and from Arizona State Bars and that the State Bar Associations of both Arizona and California had censures against him.

I responded that I had a very common name, requested the name and last known address of the deceased and if provided-would decide whether to cooperate with him. Of course, I received no reply. Be wary out there.

Incidentally, you can look up the ratings of your medical doctor or dentist, also. Simply Google full professional name and degree to view background, education, Board certifications and ratings.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Brad! I believe in sharing knowledge if one has it.

THoff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bad news for you Doug -- I'm 99% certain "Brad" is a spammer or spambot. Both posts are completely generic and devoid of any relevance to the thread. I'm sure "Brad's" profile will shortly be updated with a link to a commercial site pushing pills.

Timothy Aanerud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I received a request from the owner of this aircraft asking to buy photos.

I happily and freely sent him my original images including some that I didn't post. I don't know how often this has happened to me.

This week I received a request from an individual asking for my phone number and address. The message came through the A-D's contact a photographer link and not the link that includes a reference to a specific photo. Since the individual's name was in the email I was able use www.faa.gov aircraft registration owner name query and I came to the conclusion that it might be this photo that is of interest to this person.

This photo just happened to be on of several hundred that I took this day at the Anoka County Airport on its Blaine Aviation Days event.

After asking why this individual wanted my contact information, he stated that it was about copywriting a photograph of his airplane and he wanted to do this in hard copy letter format.

I think this individual's inquiry is about copyrighting the photos that we submit to this website, although I suspect it is just this one photo. I believe the copyright notice are being added to the photos that we submit to this site primarily to prevent abusive users from copying photos from this website and posted them to other websites. As I recall it was abuses at www.flightaware.com that prompted the water marking of photos here.

Again, if this individual's concern is about copyrighting, I'm wondering if we could have an upload option for public domain? or Maybe better yet would be to use a Creative Commons license that allows a wide variety of less restrictive copyright notices. For myself I only care about Attribution if somebody else want to use one of my photos. Creative Commons also has non commercial, No Derivative Works license options, and a Share-alike copyright licenses which include certain copyleft provisions. And there is quite a few combinations of Attribution+non-commercial, etc. A Creative Commons Copyright license can also be used in conjunction with commercial licensing arrangements.

Speaking only for myself, if someone asks me for original images I freely give them. Over the five years that I have contributed to this site I had only one other request to remove a photo. I think I'm at 5 requests to publish in magazines or books.

Ztex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timothy,

It's great that you have had someone ask to buy a photo! I've never anyone ask to buy one...much less ask for a copy. Cool!

As for the other photo,
Was the owner asking about copyright as it pertains to your photograph? or is he one of the folks that think they own the copyright to your photograph since it is their airplane in the photo?

I have had one person tell me that he owned the copyright of any photo I took of his airplane. I understand there are certain entities that claim copyright of their product and try to prohibit commercial exploit of images of their products...

That is a tough one. The CAF claims this right at times....as does Lockheed Martin....
That idea make me grumpy.

Timothy Aanerud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ztex wrote:
Timothy,
As for the other photo,
Was the owner asking about copyright as it pertains to your photograph? or is he one of the folks that think they own the copyright to your photograph since it is their airplane in the photo?

Said individual wants to discuss the legal basis to claim a copyright.

The tone of the email exchange seems more like this to me: "I entered my aircraft registration number into an internet search engine and I found a photo of my aircraft and I'm pissed." For some unknown reason this individual is upset that a photo of their aircraft exists on this website with a copyright notice because they were at a public airport on a day where their was an public event that included a pancake breakfast, 3 B-25's, a P-40, a P-38, 10 T-6's, a BT-13, an N3N, numerous other general aviation aircraft. It was the best attended Blaine Aviation Days at the Anoka County Airport in many years.

So, if this person is truly concerned about copyight notices, I thought I would bring up the topic of allowing other copyrights licenses. This individual has not asked me to remove this photo yet. My first contact was a request for my phone number and address. No motives stated. This seemed like phishing to me. Or just a means to simplify the tasking of getting my address so this individual can send a intimidating letter via certified mail. Answering the question to supply my contact information is like asking the condemned to supply their own rope for their hanging. But, to be fair, I do not know what this individuals motives are or what remedies they might be seeking.

Ztex wrote:
...I understand there are certain entities that claim copyright of their product and try to prohibit commercial exploit of images of their products...

That is a tough one. The CAF claims this right at times..

My neighbor Max Haynes www.maxair2air.com has had the problem with CAF on an aviation book that he published. It seems kinda odd of CAF headquarters to go after him since he spins websites for the Minnesota CAF wings.

Bluedharma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timothy Aanerud wrote:
Answering the question to supply my contact information is like asking the condemned to supply their own rope for their hanging.

That may be the case. That has happened to me. You could ask their intent before supplying the information. Also ask if they wish for the photo to be removed and the reason why?

http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/Bluedharma;1045/
bluedharmaairportdata@gmail.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: