Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Book-Tip       

Book-Tip 
Paul H

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Book-Tip Reply with quote

Hey folks!

For my A-level exam I have to write an essay that should have approximately 25 pages (on computer). I chose the topic "Why/How does an aircraft fly" and I'll elaborate the Points: Bernoulli-Effect, Flaps, the current of air and how to reduce the aerodynamic resistance so I thought about Winglets/Sharklets.
I'm looking especially for detailed information, not just short explanations that you can read in magazines as it's an essay that I write in the subject Physics.

I would be very happy, if some of you could give me tips, which books I could read and maybe what else I could write about or what you think, is too difficult, of what I have mentioned. Smile

Paul

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one absolute best book for the pilot masses that explains the principles of exactly how and why an airplane flies. A classic every pilot should own. It is "STICK AND RUDDER" by Wolfgang Langewiesche subtitled "An Explanation of the Art of Flying", published in 1944 by McGraw-Hill and still in print. "It is the first exact analysis of the art of flying ever attempted" quoted from my copy's flyleaf, and "But Stick and Rudder remains the leading think-book on the art of flying". A best-seller and well illustrated, it gets into the physics of flight in understandable text with examples and explains all lift and control surfaces of an aircraft and their exact functions. Includes a comprehensive Index. You would not need any other reference, although I learned to fly 48 years ago using the Kershner manuals, as flight manuals are geared more toward learning to fly in progressive lessons.

Paul H

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick answer, Doug! That sounds really great. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: