Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #33       

Aircraft Quiz #33 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #33 Reply with quote

1. What American passenger airliner had only two more built with one slated for transcontinental service after the first-built prototype. The prototype made quite a promotion by flying a round-trip shakedown transcontinentally. Manufacturer and full aircraft model name/designator needed.

2. What was an unusual feature of the wing construction?

3. What happened to the prototype?

All answers necessary for winning this quiz.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't figure this one out, even to hazard a guess.

I'm assuming any plane that needs to fly say, NY to LA to NY, without refueling would need about 6000 miles of range with some overhead.

Given that its an American built jet aircraft, we're left with Boeing or Mac. The 767 didn't get these characteristics immediately (ER and all that), but its still not making much sense to me.

When you say transcontinental round-trip, do you mean the plane only had to go from say LA to NY and back with any number of stops in between? Or only one refueling during the middle of the journey?

Does wing construction mean what the wing looks like or how it was put together?

Just a bit confused in this corner..

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A transcontinental trip does not necessarily imply non-stop flight. It does mean coast to coast flight of an airplane; in this quiz the aircraft flights were done for promotion value and introduction. LA to NY (and back) could be examples, and it did happen successfully. And, I did not mention or necessarily imply a jet powered aircraft. Wing construction means what of and how the wings were built that is unusual.

Thank you for your interest and please keep trying.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just confused from the wording.

I still can't find anything that fits the bill.

The Boeing Model 200/221/221A Monomail has got some things right, but not everything. (3 aircraft?)

The aircraft was modified for transcontinental passenger service, but it doesn't seem like it was promoted for that purpose.

It had a single metal cantilevered low-wing design, which was unusual for 1930.

I do not know what happened to these aircraft.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for trying, but no on the old Boeing Monomails. You are in the right era/time-frame, however with that submission.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this quiz will probably end soon, so I'm going to put forward two more guesses:

1)
Manufacturer/Model- Sikorsky S-40 (NC80/81/752V)
Unusual Wing- The wings were strut/wire based with four engines. Lots of frame.
Prototype- Scrapped after WWII.

2)
Manufacturer/Model- Martin M-130 (China/Philippine/Hawaii)
Unusual Wing- High-wing design with pylon extensions. (big boat plane)
Prototype- Crashed/sunk in 1945.

Neither of these seem to fit the bill, but I don't know where to look anymore.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No on both submissions, but I thank you for trying.

I usually do not reveal my source/s-have had a comment to the effect "easy to find the answer on Wikipedia" re one of the past quizzes. Some reader friends have contributed additional info including aircraft photos in conjunction with their answer submissions and frequently I find that info prior unknown to me. I am appreciative of that.

And, as again I will state here I did NOT check Wikipedia first before formulating this quiz.

My next quiz I am already formulating will have a different approach requiring some thought about a flight certification rating test procedure, not an airplane identification. Pilots may find that different and intriguing.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well over 500 views and no right answers, so here are the answers.

1. 1929 Keystone Patrician K-78D. Considered a huge airliner in its day with wingspan of 86'6", this high wing tri-motor monoplane taildragger with three Wright Cyclone uncowled R-1750 radials of 525 Hp each carried 18 passengers in a commodious cabin. Six seats on the cabin's left side were single seats, then an aisle and across were 6 double seats. All passenger seats had rectangular shatter-proof window excellent views that spanned the length of the seating with narrow frames, yielding almost panorama views. A lavatory was behind the cabin seating and a 600 lb. baggage compartment was behind that. Two crew-pilot and copilot.

2. The semi-cantilever wing construction was unusual in having four sections-with inner wing panels from the fuselage attach points to the two wing underslung engine nacelles of spar beams of welded steel tubing metal trusses with truss-type wing ribs. Outboard of these were built-up spruce wood and plywood box-type spar beams and wooden truss-type wing ribs. Wing leading edges were covered with dural sheet metal and the complete wing framework of all four panels was covered in fabric.

Parallel steel struts braced the wings and the underslung engine nacelles making a strong steel truss. The main landing gear also were braced with the wing braces and the engine mountings. The nose radial engine was also uncowled. The landing gear of 19'6" tread had oleo struts and spring shock-absorbing struts. Unusual were landing gear spats and wheel covers, although I doubt this did much drag reduction or streamlining. Gear of course were fixed, not retractable. Bendix wheel brakes were standard. Fuel of 420 gallons was carried in tanks in the inner wing panels and engine oil in the engine nacelles. Strangely, the center engine had a two-blade prop, with the outboard engines having tri-blade props. If anyone can tell me why-that would be appreciated. The Patrician was the largest tri-motor transport at its time.

3. The prototype K-28 after making the transcontinental flights introduction was sold to the Wright Aeronautical Corp. for use as a flying testbed for its new Cyclone engines. A new plush interior with private offices and beds was installed. Keystone was a division of the Curtiss-Wright Corp.

A production run of ten airliners was planned by Keystone but only one more Patrician, the K-78D model was slated for service with Transcontinental Air Transport- (T.A.T.) for cross-country usage. This was approved as ATC #260 of 30 October 1929. The airliner's career was abruptly curtailed by the 1930 economic depression after the 1929 Wall Street crash. A second production K-78D was built, but orders to Keystone were soon cancelled.

The Type Certificate allowed a 16,000 lb. gross weight later approved for 16,600 lb. gross. The Cyclone engines had large collector rings which muffled exhaust noise so normal cabin conversation was provided. Emphasis was on crew visibility in cockpit design. Max speed was 144 mph with cruise at 120 mph. Landing speed 60 mph. Range was 480-550 miles. Original price-$90,000 later lowered to $85,000 and finally to $65,000 in 1930 with no takers.

Also unusual perhaps, the Keystone Patrician was offered with three Pratt & Whitney Hornet radials of 525 Hp each.

I thank all who viewed this tough quiz.

red750

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to a photo of the K-28 Patrician:

http://airandspace.si.edu/explore-and-learn/multimedia/detail.cfm?id=2374

Peter.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter, for the fine photo showing the enormousness of the airplane for its time. This K-28 has all two-blade props, and the cargo appears to also have some passenger suitcases and trunks, as they were called back then.

The photo allows the reader to better understand the massive wing support bracing, engine struts and main landing gear than my verbal descriptions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: