Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
WD932 English Electric Aircraft       

WD932 English Electric Aircraft 
actionbarbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: WD932 English Electric Aircraft Reply with quote

I bought this photography recently and on researching the aircraft I learnt that this was the aircraft that flew from Ireland to America a record flight at the time? It also was the prototype for another plane. How long was production of this plane and when was the record flight to America? I am NO expert and my description and terms im using may be wrong, but I cant find any really good images of WD932. Would this black and white photo print be of interest to collectors? The print is around 9 x 7 inches. Any info gratefully recieved Smile Thanks, Linda Smile

IMG_20141027_181111.jpg
 Description:
WD932
 Filesize:  712.44 KB
 Viewed:  2978 Time(s)

IMG_20141027_181111.jpg

English Electric Canberra WD932 
Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: English Electric Canberra WD932 Reply with quote

If you Google "WD932 Canberra", you will find quite a few sites providing data on this historic aircraft including many images, possibly including the one you have.

For example,
http://1951club.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/canberra-does-it-1951/
provides ........

The Canberra was also somewhat of a record breaker … In 1951 an RAF English Electric Canberra B Mk 2 (serial number WD932) flown by Squadron Leader A. Callard , flew from Aldergrove, Northern Ireland, to Gander, Newfoundland. The flight covered almost 1,800 nautical miles (3,300 km) in 4h 37 m. and was the first non-stop unrefuelled transatlantic-crossing by a jet.
The aircraft was being flown to the U.S. to act as a pattern aircraft for the Martin B-57 Canberra.Follow this link for a Pathe News recording of the record-breaking attempt.

There is a sad ending for this particular record breaking aircraft WD932:
On 21 December 1951, English Electric Canberra B2, USAF 51-17387, ex-RAF WD932, used as pattern aircraft for B-57 Canberra, crashed during a flight from Martin plant at Middle River, Maryland, north of Baltimore. It lost a wing during a 4.8g manoeuvre at 10,000 feet (3,000 m) over Centerville, Maryland, on the Delmarva Peninsula due to incorrect fuel handling that led to tail heaviness which caused loss of control during the high g manoeuvring. Both crewmembers ejected, but one of them was killed when his parachute failed to open.

Malcolm.

actionbarbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for your info. Very kind of you to take time out to do this : )

I have found a few other images of the plane mentioned. Do you think anybody would be interested in purchasing the image I hqvebof the Canberra? I don't know whether to keep it or try it on eBay. Any thoughts?

Thanks again. Linda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aircraft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: