Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #35       

Aircraft Quiz #35 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #35 Reply with quote

1. Name a warplane that possibly exceeded supersonic speed on its very, very first flight, and was always known as an exceedingly difficult airplane to fly, killing many of it's pilots, yet had a long service life. It's flight difficulties were never "cured." It was an exceedingly complex aircraft hated by all mechanics. Make and exact model nomenclature needed with date of very first flight.

2. What was extremely unusual about it's flaps?

3. What other device was needed by this aircraft for normal flight operations?

4. How long was its service career? Two year dates needed.

5. During its war career, when under fire one of the question aircraft exceeded a Mach number that had never before been encountered by an aircraft under fire. What was that seminal Mach number?

As usual, all answers needed for solving this quiz; perhaps my toughest yet. Prove me wrong!

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I'll hazard a guess now, although I don't have all the information yet.

1. Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. First prototype flight was 1954.

2. I think it had leading and trailing edge flaps.

3. It needed a BLCS to land in most circumstances. It did not like landing at low speed.

4. Umm...1958-1969?

5. No idea.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, wrong aircraft but thank you for trying!

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...hmm... need a higher pilot fatality rate then. How about:

1. North American F-100 Super Sabre. First flight on May 25, 1953.

2. ?

3. The aircraft needed a yaw damper to address inertia coupling issues.

4. 1954-1970.

5. ?

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit the F-104 Starfighter had unacceptable fatality rates, both with the USAF and the Luftwaffe, and also probably did the F-100 Super Sabre with the USAF. ANG and other countries. But, neither are correct. Thank you and please keep trying.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With over 500 views and no correct answers, here are the answers.

1. McDonnell F-101A/C Voodoo long range interceptor, reconnaissance, tactical nuclear strike versions/roles. First flight: 29 September 1954 went supersonic. The two-seat F-101B interceptor version was one of the most complex military airplanes ever in its time; a mechanics "nightmare" to trace and repair gripes.

2. It had both leading edge split-flaps and trailing edge wing flaps. Wings also fitted with fences to reduce induced drag. Because of the position of the dual jet air intakes, it did NOT have a continuous wing spar, rather individual wing spars.

3. It was equipped with a brake chute as it landed fast and heavy AND also an arrester hook for emergency landings at high speed. It also had two deployable airbrakes on upper rear fuselage sides.

4. Its long service career was 1956-1987.

5. In daylight recon missions over North Vietnam the jungle-camo RF-101C routinely exceeded Mach 1.8 when under fire. Some recon missions were at tree-top level.

F-101A Voodoo single-seat specs

Powerplant: two P&W J57-P-13 turbojets each rated at 14,850 lb thrust with maximum afterburner. (This engine initially troubled by compressor stalls) (J-57-P-s varied with VooDoo models)
Max speed: Mach 1.9 or 1,229 mph at 33,000 ft.
Range: 1,885 miles
Service ceiling: 51,988 ft.
Weights: Empty-25,557 lb; loaded-50,897 lb
Fuel: nine tanks-2,000 gallons
Armament: 4 20-mm cannons, 6,710 lb of bomb including tactical nuclear weapons
Wing loading: 138.3 lb/sq ft.

Dimensions

Wingspan: 40 ft
Length: 67 ft
Height: 18 ft
Wing area: 368 sq ft.

The monster-sized Voodoos were tricky to fly with a challenge to tuck in the nosewheel and, because of the high-set all-moving horizontal tailplane, the aircraft had an unpleasant tendency to pitch up unexpectedly. Gains in high performance came at the cost of difficult handling and many test pilot/pilot/crew fatalities. High speed lob nuclear strike deliveries had the aircraft looping over the top after bomb release and rolling level 180 degrees from the strike course. It's unrefueled long range was a huge asset at the time. Early Voodoos had both a standard USAF in-flight refueling boom and a probe for a drogue system as well. Canada also operated about 60 F-101B interceptors.

I thank all who were perplexed by this quiz. Anyone with a Voodoo photo is welcome to upload it here with model ID.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For photos see tail number 53-2418 on this site. I found the one Voodoo, a 1953 McDonnell F-101A model after just now searching this site. It also was once registered N9250Z, remarkably! The 1953 refers to the USAF contract year, not its actual production year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: