Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Shannon Leithoff - Bellanca N86589 - Crashed South Weymouth       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation News

Shannon Leithoff - Bellanca N86589 - Crashed South Weymouth 
MJF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Shannon Leithoff - Bellanca N86589 - Crashed South Weymouth Reply with quote

Hi there. I'm working on a comprehensive illustrated history of Naval Air Station South Weymouth in Massachusetts. I'm looking for a photo of stunt pilot Shannon Leithoff and her aircraft for the book. She was killed on the base when her aircraft crashed during an air show in 1973. Can anybody help me? There's a photo of her and her aircraft presented in this forum at
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N86589.html that's credited to Jack Leithoff. Can anybody provide me with his contact information? That photo would be perfect. Thanks.

Marc

South Weymouth Airshow 
m deshaies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: South Weymouth Airshow Reply with quote

I was at this show and witnessed this horrible crash. I was 8 years old and it haunted me for years.

South Weymouth Airshow 
dcosta

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: South Weymouth Airshow Reply with quote

Hi, I was also at that airshow and was also 8 years old. I'm pretty certain it was in 1974.
This has also haunted me. My brother, a friend and I were were right in front right behind the safety ropes they had when that poor woman's plane slammed straight into the ground. I never found mention of this online until today, both here and wikipedia.

Shannon Leithoff - Bellanca N86589 
bobsemp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Shannon Leithoff - Bellanca N86589 Reply with quote

It was September 8, 1974. I was an ABF2 stationed at NAS South Weymouth at the time, and saw the crash first hand. Shannon wasn't feeling well the day before, but had the "show must go on" attitude. She was doing low altitude barrel rolls down the runway, and was supposed to be upright pulling up into a square box - unfortunately she was inverted when she pulled up. I'm sure she never saw it coming. The aero club on the base was giving rides before and after the airshow (I was one of the pilots giving rides); needless to say the number of people who wanted rides afterwards was minimal. I will always remember that day.

steve johnston

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Shanon Leithoff's brother and I have a photo of her with her airplane. I just googled her and found your message. Contact me at <srj5@earthlink.net> Steve Johnston 4/4/17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: