Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft queries.       

Aircraft queries. 
Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Aircraft queries. Reply with quote

G-AHBC
I have found a small metal plate in my garden shed. It's marked Proctor V and G-AHBC. Underneath it says Donaldson Bros (Alloa 1937) ltd and then: Designed and constructed by Perciaval Aircraft Ltd, Luton England.
It appears to be something from a Proctor V aircraft; Donaldson Bros seems to be something to do with textiles - not sure what the connection is with aircraft unless it was part of the aircraft construction?

G-ALBI
I have found in garden shed a small metal plate marked: Airwork Limited, 15 Chesterfield Street, London W1 - G-ALBI.
Seems to be something to do with a DH-89 aircraft - anyone have further info?

Chris Lewis

moxy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-AHBC

Donaldson Brothers were a Scottish Knitwear company that were in existence between 1937 and 1963. They were known as Donbros Ltd., and based at Hall Park Mills, Alloa. They appear to have bought the aircraft from the manufacturer for use as a company transport. I have no record of them being involved in the manufacture of the aeroplane. They owned this aircraft from 1946 to 1952 and it was based at what was the former RAF Balado Bridge airfield which is about 17 miles from Alloa. The airfield is now a park, part of which houses a small former Nato tracking station which closed a few years ago.

G-ALBI

This DH89A Rapide 6 was built by Brush Coachworks and taken on charge by the RAF in May 1941 with military serial number X7352. The aircraft constructor's serial was 6525. Scottish Aviation took it on in 1948 and registered it as G-ALBI. It went to Airwork in 1953 for a while, at one time becoming LX-LAD before reverting back to 'LBI. It was eventually sold and became F-OBRV registered to SA Ardic in Senegal. It sadly crashed and was written off 4th August 1961 in Boghe, Mauritania.

I wish the contents of my garden shed gave up interesting artifacts like these plates. I've just got and old lawnmower and plenty of large spiders!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aircraft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: