Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #81       

Aircraft Quiz #81 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #81 Reply with quote

Once upon a time there was an aircraft specifically designed (and built) to survive a landing gear-up belly landing crash on it's fuselage keel with minimal damage (and it did demonstrate this once in flight inadvertently) and that had four engines but just two propellers. (I am not making this up!).

1. Manufacturer?

2. Model nomenclature?

3. Make and nomenclature of engines?

4. Date of first flight?

5. Bonus for correct official registration nomenclature.

(If you are thinking of the four-engine two-propellers German Heinkel He 177, forget that as it is the wrong answer).

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... if not a 177, perhaps a 34?

1. Beechcraft

2. Model 34 "Twin-Quad"

3. Lycoming GSO-580 (400 hp each)

4. October 1, 1947

moxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If SunvisorFlyer is correct and I believe he is, well done!

I can only add that I believe the answer to the bonus question is NX90521.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, congrats to both Sunvisor Flyer and Rob for getting it right, and quickly! The Beech Model 34 Twin-Quad didn't conform to any other Beech design except for it's vee tail (albeit huge) ala the Model 35 Bonanza of the same era.

Each pair of pusher engines on the high wing were coupled to a single pusher propeller though a common gearbox, designed by Beech engineer Alex Odevseff, so four engines drove two pusher props. The intent of the streamlined all-metal aircraft was to build a postwar feeder airliner with 20 seats (this was prior to the 19 seat rule that didn't require a flight attendant). The tri-gear was retractable. Four 8 cylinder opposed, geared and supercharged Lycoming GSO-580 engines of 400 Hp each at 3,300 rpm gave a 1,400 statute mile range, cruising at 180 mph. Only the prototype was built, and tested for nearly a year and a half. The forced gear-up landing of the prototype soon after a takeoff killed the program but confirmed minimal damage of the design, yet the plane was damaged beyond economical repair. The design goal of 300 mph was never attained.

Length: 53 ft.
Wingspan: 70 ft.
Height: to top of Vee tail-nearly 18 feet.
Max designed gross weight: 20,000 lbs. with 1,000 lbs. cargo.

Incidentally, Founder Walter H. Beech at some time required his aeronautical engineers to take flight training as a condition of continuing employment. A fine idea!

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to be a lot of decent aircraft prototypes abandoned around this time frame. It is surprising to me that after both WWI and WWII, aircraft manufacturers did not anticipate the large number of ex-military planes being available for civilian use. Or perhaps they overestimated the market expansion?

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many established and startup light aircraft manufacturers after WWII believed that returning veterans would want to fly; yet a lot of these companies changed hands several times before disappearing or were absorbed. The GI Bill originally paid for the Private Certificate but then found that many vets didn't continue to get any more ratings enabling them to earn a living by commercial aviation. So the GI Bill was changed to pay just for advanced ratings-multi-engine, commercial, instrument, etc. within a certain time period-5 years as I recall. This led to enlarging commercial passenger aviation airlines as America was ready to fly rather than take a train or drive. The Korean Conflict (war never declared by US Congress) of 1950-'53 gave a slight boost to light aircraft production, but aluminum sheet was curtailed immediately so tube and fabric light aircraft construction prevailed then.

The Beech Model 34 Twin Quad was just one attempt of several to build new feeder/commuter airliners but was certainly challenged by the many surplus Beech 18 twin variants (I flew in Navy SNBs) and even the twin Cessna "Bamboo Bombers" that were pressed into such service by startups. Even some twin engine WWII bombers or patrol aircraft powered by large Hp radials were converted to private company aircraft, that could afford the fuel consumption translated to speed and efficient comfort. The period from 1946 to 1950 or so saw many startups and many failures. Overestimated? Yes, that too!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: