Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft G-AENS Hawk Major Crashed, Priddy Somerset 20/11/41       

JohnCarden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Aircraft G-AENS Hawk Major Crashed, Priddy Somerset 20/11/41 Reply with quote

This aircraft crashed during WWII when piloted by my Uncle, after whom I was named. He was John Baker. The plane ran out of fuel and crashed into hillside near Priddy, Wells, Somerset.

He flew for the Air Transport Auxiliary.

I don't know any more, but I intend to go to the RAF Museum, in London, where kin may inspect service records.

I also intend to travel to Priddy to see if I can find anyone who knows anything about it.

If anyone has any ideas or can help, please let me know.

John Carden

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John.

I am unsure whether you have this information taken from an Internet website "A Fleeting Peace"

G-AENS Miles M.2H Hawk Major 198 G-AENS DP848 Phillips & Powis Aircraft Ltd/Woodley >Reading AC Ltd 18.09.36 Impressed 10.3.41 Crashed nr Priddy 20.11.41

I seems that at the time of the crash, the aircraft would have been impressed into the RAF and registered as DP848 and perhaps your uncle was piloting the aircraft on a delivery flight to an RAF training station.

Malcolm Clarke.

JohnCarden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Aircraft G-AENS Hawk Major Crashed, Priddy Somerset 20/11/41 Reply with quote

Thank you, I had that text but did not know what "impressed" meant before. Your theory abut delivery seems plausible. But where from and where to? I hope that the records at the RAF museum will tell me more.
I knew nothing of this as a kid in the 50's. John's photo was on my Nan's TV, but no one ever talked about it. I think after the war people were just pleased to get on with life, and everyone had sad losses from their families.
Thank you for the info. If I find out more I will post it.

moxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://afleetingpeace.org/the-ata/index.php

The above has photographs of John Baker and some details of his service in the ATA. Look under male pilots who joined the ATA in 1941.

Best regards

Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aircraft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: