Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #86       

Aircraft Quiz #86 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #86 Reply with quote

Name the FIRST two different twin aircraft to use TWO engines mounted in the wings each coupled to drive SINGLE propellers. The first to do this used a reduction gearbox to a single propeller on each wing while the other drove twin engines' propellers each driven by two coupled engines with individual clutch assemblies (which was considered a twin of sorts). If these descriptions confuse you-each quiz aircraft had two propellers, one so powered on each of the two wings. So, they looked similar to conventional twin engine aircraft with two propellers. Think of four-engined aircraft with two propellers, just one propeller on each wing.

1a. Historic first aircraft to have this-Make? and 1b., Model nomenclature?

2a. Second aircraft to have this similar feature-Make? and 2b. Model nomenclature?

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A previous quiz addressed this type of configuration, but I don't think the same aircraft apply...right?
1. Heinkel HE 177
2. Beechcraft Model 34

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your prompt and correct reply. I am getting on in years, and can't recall a similar or identical quiz of mine here. Can you supply the quiz number?

Meanwhile, the WWII German Heinkel He 177 GREIF-(Griffon) strategic bomber was designed to carry 4,400 lbs of bombs over a 1,000 mile radius. It used four 1.000 Hp Daimler-Benz DB 601s initially or four 2,700 Hp DB 606As coupled in pairs, in one nacelle per wing each driving a single shaft four-bladed prop. It did not have an easy or uncomplicated birthing. One successful technique was to fly high at maximum ceiling, dive fast at the target and pull out at a low altitude that was hard to defend against -dropping its bomb load with some successes and escaping at maximum speed. This was successful on the Russia front in late Spring of 1944. Germany's lack of fuel helped end the conflict-80 aircraft consumed 480 tons of fuel which was equivalent to a single day's output of their entire oil refining industry.

Now, getting to the Beech Model 34 TWIN QUAD- Beech looked to the postwar feeder airline market to design a similar propulsion concept with four 8 cylinder Lycoming GSO-580 engines of 400 Hp each at 3,300 rpm. The 20 passenger Twin Quad could carry 1,000 lbs of cargo with range of 1,400 statute miles with 45 minute reserve at 180 mph. Design was for 300 mph, never attained-200 mph more realistic. Wingspan of the high wing was 70 feet. Tri-gear was retractable. Flight tests of more than 200 hours were from late 1947 to January 1949. NX90521 made a forced landing in January 1949 shortly after takeoff and was "damaged beyond economical repair." The prominent Vee tail was not related to the first Beech Bonanzas-Beech had an earlier Vee tail flight-tested on a sleek AT-10 twin in 1944-45. The 35 Bonanza's first flight was on 22 December, 1945.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug- the discussion in quiz 81 revolved around these aircraft.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response. It certainly did, and I must be suffering from OABFS-old age brain fade syndrome- as I drew a blank in my memory cells in formulating Quiz #86-somewhat different question/clues about the same aircraft as in Quiz #81. I did come across different references in formulating Quiz #86--that might have confused my memory, or shot it down. Perhaps I should just hang it up?

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's necessary- I still get a kick out of researching (or attempting to research) all of these aircraft.

Perhaps the view count requirement before a correct answer is given should be lowered? (to keep people interested in checking the forum more frequently)

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that 500 views (if t gets to that) are mainly comprised of multiple checks by the same few to see if there is a right answer on top of the list. Participation in the other Forum Topics has gone way down also-my impression. So, I will cut it in half to 250 Quiz views before giving the answers. Some who participated seem to have disappeared as the numbers of members have increased. Alas, I also know of some deaths. But, their fine photos stay in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aircraft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: