| ||This aircraft was the 5th C-74 built, rolling out circa December 1945. In 1949 it was given a redesigned and rebuilt fuselage with clam-shell loading doors, and fitted with 3500 hp R-4360-49 engines and 4-bladed props, and was redesignated as the YC-124, making its first flight as such on 27 November 1949. It was retrofitted with radome and wing heaters before return to USAF active service. Later it was re-engined with 3800 hp R-4360-35A engines as the YC-124A.|
In November 1957 it was ferried to the old Air Force Museum location at Patterson Field, Fairborn, OH where it remained until 1969, when it was deemed to be too large to move to the new Museum location at Wright Field; it was then given to the base fire department for fire fighting training until eventually scrapped.
This aircraft is often reported to have change s/n to 48-795 when it was converted to YC-124, but this is erroneous, since 48-795 was the first production C-124A.