Aircraft N147DC Data

Browse by Manufacturer

1 aircraft record found.

1943 Douglas C-47A Skytrain C/N 19347

Discuss this aircraft in forum
Total 69 photos. View all photos
Latest photos of N147DC
  • N147DC @ LFRK - for 75 D-Day anniversary - by B777juju by B777juju @ LFRK
  • N147DC @ EGKB - Festival of Flight 2019 - by Tim Lowe by Tim Lowe @ EGKB
  • N147DC @ EGSU - Daks Over Normandy 2019 - 42-100884 (Ace High) - by Roberto Cassar by Roberto Cassar @ EGSU
  • N147DC @ EGSU - Daks Over Normandy 2019 - 42-100884 (Ace High) - by Roberto Cassar by Roberto Cassar @ EGSU

Airframe Info

Model:C-47A Skytrain    Search all Douglas C-47A Skytrain
Year built:1943
Construction Number (C/N):19347
Aircraft Type:Fixed wing multi engine
Number of Seats:32
Number of Engines:2
Engine Type:Reciprocating
Engine Manufacturer and Model:Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92 Twin Wasp
Also Registered As:
42-100884  De-registered


Registration Number:N147DC
Mode S (ICAO24) Code:A0BCFF
Certification Issued:1998-03-12
Last Action Taken:2007-05-15
Current Status:Valid


Registration Type:Corporation
Owner:Aces High Us Inc
Address:Wilmington, DE 19808
United States

User Comments

Glenn E. Chatfield, 2012-03-26 19:49:21
 This aircraft was built as C-47A 42-100884 and delivered to the USAAF on 12/29/43. It was assigned to the U.S. 8th A.F. in the European Theater and later to the 9th A.F. On 9/2/44 it was transferred to the RAF as a Dakota Mk.III (TS423) and assigned to the Heavy Glider Servicing Unit as a glider tug. Five weeks later it was transferred to No.436 Sqdn at Down Ampney, Gloucestershire. On 3/20/46 the plane went to Gatow, West Berlin, returning to the U.K. on 6/5/47 for storage with No.44 Maintenance Unit in Kincardineshire, Scotland. On 8/15/49 the aircraft was acquired by Ferranti Flying Unit at Turnhouse Airport, Edinburgh with only 766 flying hours on the airframe. The aircraft was then extensively modified with a work bench installed along starboard side with 4 observers’ seat positions. “Various experimental units were installed on the bench and throughout the aircraft. A special petrol-driven auxiliary power unit to generate AC power supple was installed and the aircraft was used on distance measuring trials.” In 1951 the nose cone was “modified and extended to accept a gimbal-supported and hydraulically controlled gun turret,” which “was manually operated by an observer and access was gained from the co-pilot’s position, which was radically changed in appearance. In 1952 the nose was again altered “to accept a bullet-shaped structure to carry an Airpass radar unit,” which was to be installed on the English Electric Lightning. “Subsequent modifications were incorporated and various installations carried out throughout the years.” Short Brothers & Harland Limited took over the plane in October 1967 and in November 1968 it was overhauled. On 5/14/69 the aircraft was acquired for use on a Ministry of Technology contract with the Royal Aircraft Establishment at West Freugh for work with sonobuoys. This was one of the last Dakotas to operate in RAF livery. On 9/14/79 the aircraft was sold, becoming G-DAKS. After 1981 the plane appeared in the movie “Airline” and many TV shows. ON 3/12/98 the plane was registered N147DC by Aces High Us, Inc of Wilmington, DE but has remained in England, currently painted as a USAAF C-47A, carrying its original USAAF serial on the tail. (Information to 1981 from Arthur Pearcy’s book “Douglas DC-3 Survivors,” while the remainder from Joseph Baugher.)