Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
New US NAVY Surveillance Drone VALKYRIE       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation News

New US NAVY Surveillance Drone VALKYRIE 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: New US NAVY Surveillance Drone VALKYRIE Reply with quote

The US Navy recently demonstrated a autogyro-type drone called Valkyrie, which would be towed behind a ship to act as a 5,000 ft altitude remote sentinel watching for other ships, aircraft and land objects. In the old days, we called this a Crow's Nest atop the tallest mast on a ship for the keenest-eyed lookout to man.

In Norse mythology, Valkyrie was any of the maidens of Odin who conduct the souls of heroes slain in battle to Valhalla and wait on them there. Valhalla, of course, is the great hall where Odin receives and feasts the souls of heroes who have fallen bravely in battle.

Valkyrie's drone development to prototype working model cost an estimated $1 million to build, according to first report. Hmmm! Must be DARPA at work here, our Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

Gee, when I was in the Navy I was an ATR1, Aviation Electronics Technician, RADAR. What ever happened to them?

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a new idea, the Germans used the Focke-Achgelis Fa-330A-1 Bachstelze which was towed behind German U-boats during World War II to allow a lookout to see farther

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: