Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
What camera do you use?      Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography

Dean Heald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canon 20D & a 30D. I primarily use 3 lenses - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS, Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS. For wide angle stuff, I have the Canon 17-85mm lens. I don't do enough close-up stuff to justify buying an L wide angle lens. My next lens will be a Canon 500mm f/4L IS, and my next camera will be a Canon 1D Mark III.

topgun3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, must be the only one here with a Sony/Minolta equipment. I have the Minolta 7D and Sony Alpha A100. The Alpha definitely gets more use now. Great camera (can't wait for the next model to come out). As far as lenses, I got about 16 now. Most of the time I use my 80-200mm F2.8 Minolta, 28-80mm F2.8 Tokina, and 300mm F2.8 Prime Minolta and 16mm F2.8 Fisheye Minolta. All take great shots.

Michael Mannschreck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have two i use now one is my old Kodak Z650 and my Brand new Sony DSC-H7 Cyber-shot with 15X optical zoom and it even has HD 25X smart Zoom

lijk604

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon Digital Rebel XTi

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Sigma 170-500mm f/5.6-6.3

Barneydhc82

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here so here goes> I use a Nikon 8700 8mp and I've shot numerous digital zoom pics at high resolution with little trouble. One of these days I'll graduate to a DSLR.

I used a Canon AE1 for 25 years before going digital and although I still have the thing, it is not used.

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

aussietrev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Canon 400D and recently purchased the 100-400 L series IS telephoto (which is heavy but awesome!) and the 2X teleconverter which takes it out to 800mm. It is still sharp and clear at 800mm and the IS makes it still able to be handheld for many shots.
I hope to add the 24-105mm L series soon. Very Happy

Dean Heald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see some of those 800mm shots. They must be very dramatic. Which teleconverter are you using? Auto-focus still works with the 100-400mm L?

aussietrev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dean, I'm using the Canon EF 2x II converter. The 100-400 is an autofocus lens with the Ultrasonic motor. It is fast and accurate and very quite. I also do wildlife photography so the quite AF is great. The lens has Image stabiliser which still works with the teleconverter on but is manual focus only with the converter. If we get some decent weather this weekend I will be posting some new shots next week and will post details here if you want to check them out.

Guy Pambrun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presently I use a Canon 30D. My favorite lens is the Canon 100 - 400mm IS which I must say is a perfect one for aircraft in flight. The only thing negative I could say about it is it tends to suck in the dust due to it's push / pull zoom function. I also use a Canon 17 - 85mm IS lens for " on the ground " shots if and when the chance presents itself. That's rare though as I prefer to get 'em while they are in the air.

kernow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am bucking the DSLR trend as of the time being and using a Panasonic Lumix FZ30. In addition I use an Olympus B-300 teleconverter which in 5MP mode gives me @900mm. Fortunately the Lumix OIS is very good so handholding isn't really a problem.

Michael Martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got any experience with a "mirror lens"? I'm wondering if this could be a cheap fix as an alternative to a 500mm traditional lens. I'm just worried if there will be a blur or spotting due to the center point.

Visit The Doggie Park.com

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect my digital camera needs are somewhat different than most better photographers on this site. Shirt pocket-ability with optical finder is foremost with me with just the small point and shoot variety so always have camera with me at airports.

I wear prescription dark sunglasses and outdoors can't well see the digital camera LCD viewers. I don't want to lug around a camera bag with the accessories, lenses, flash, light meters, etc. I have all that with my film aperature-preferred macro SLR two body outfit from 1970s technology with wide angle and zoom telephoto extra lenses which just doesn't get use any more.

My "old" HP 607 pocket digital has taken 13,600+ photois without fail in 35 months (I also upload on a different non-aviation website) and has recently developed a round slight "dark" spot in lower center of frame seen in sky shots of flying aircraft. Yes, even pocket digital cameras with fixed lenses can get dust or dirt on the sensor.

I just started using my new Canon PowerShot A720 IS with image stabilization, 8.0 mega pixels and all-important for me optical finder. This camera received a Best Buy Compact rating from Consumer Reports magazine in their July 2008 issue. It has double the range of the HP 607, having equivalent 35 to 210 mm range. It can take a Canon teleconverter lens with additional 1.7X range. And yes, it easily fits my shirt pocket. My first airport use of it was on 16 July 2008 at SZP and CMA. So far, I am impressed with it! I'll take it to OSH this year with its rechargeable batteries and small charger. Have a room reservation with 120 V AC power, not a tent camp under the wing like many visitors.

Ztex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My film cameras are an Canon AE-1, EOS XT and an Olympus OM-4.

My Digi cams are a Panasonic DMC-FZ7 for the point and shoot stuff. It has a nice 12x Zoom and 6 mega pixles. Not real compact but it has a nice lens with a wide angle and good zoom.

I just recently stepped into the DSLR world...Canon XTi...it shoots better than I do...so far...I'm still learning.

Z

r300f28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot with a Canon EOS-1 D Mark II N. Use all Canon glass. My workhorse lens is the 24-70 mm f2.8L I will put on the 14mm f 2.8L when I want a complete different view. For the flying shots & action I use the 70-200 mm f2.8L mixed in with the 100-400 4.5-5.6 on rare occasions. I find the 100-400mm hard to use at times, especially with the trombone zoom system. Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece of glass, but it has it's moments.

Roman Reiner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My workhorse is the Sony Alpha a200 and I am very satisfied of it. Like it very much Wink Usually I use a Sony 75-300mm Objective.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: