Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Pilot License Question       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation

Pilot License Question 
FireFox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Pilot License Question Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows the steps to a high altitude endorsement once you've gained the PPL?

Also what is the highest you can fly with that endorsement?

Thanks in advance

Ztex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the reg...There is no mention of an altitude limit....that limit may be effected by the size of your check book...

High Altitude Aircraft Endorsement §61.31

No person may act as pilot-in-command of a pressurized aircraft capable of operating at high altitudes unless that person has received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor and received a one-time endorsement certifying the pilot has satisfactorily completed the ground training and is proficient to operate a pressurized aircraft.

A pressurized aircraft capable of operating at high altitude is defined as an airplane with a service ceiling or maximum operating altitude; whichever is lower, above 25,000 feet MSL.

Ground training must include at least the following subjects:

High-altitude aerodynamics and meteorology
Respiration
Effects, symptoms, and causes of hypoxia and any other high-altitude sickness
Duration of consciousness without supplemental oxygen
Effects of prolonged usage of supplemental oxygen
Causes and effects of gas expansion and gas bubble formation
Preventive measures for eliminating gas expansion, gas bubble formation, and high-altitude sickness
Physical phenomena and incidents of decompression
Any other physiological aspects of high-altitude flight

Flight training must include at least the following subjects:

Normal cruise flight operations while operating above 25,000 feet MSL
Proper emergency procedures for simulated rapid decompression without actually depressurizing the aircraft
Emergency decent procedures

The flight training may be done in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a pressurized airplane. The pilot-in-command must be proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane.

The training and endorsement is not required if that person can document satisfactory accomplishment of any of the following in a pressurized aircraft, or in a flight simulator or flight training device representative of a pressurized aircraft:

Serving as pilot in command before April 15, 1991
Completing a pilot proficiency check for a pilot certificate or rating before April 15, 1991
Completing an official pilot-in-command check conducted by the military services of the United States
Completing a pilot-in-command proficiency check under part 121, 125 or 135 conducted by the Administrator or by an approved pilot check airman.

An example of the required endorsement is shown below.

To act as PIC in a pressurized aircraft capable of high altitude operations: section 61.31(g).

I certify that (First name, MI, Last name), (pilot certificate), (certificate number), has received the required training of section 61.31(g) in a (make and model of pressurized aircraft). I have determined that he/she is proficient in the operation and systems of a pressurized aircraft.

FireFox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, looks like I'm gonna be a few years off that:)

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zane has very helpfully quoted you specific requirements from the Federal Air Regulations Part 61.31 pertaining to USA FAA requirements re your question. You are apparently in the U.K. which may have differing pilot requirements, as do different nations. The ICAO does not have a regulatory role in such requirements, so air or flight regulations differ across countries.

In America, we are not licensed pilots, we are certificated pilots after passing the FAA checkride for, say-a Private Pilot ASEL rating. Nowhere on our pilot's certificate is the word "license". You do, however, spell license the American way, rather than the British licence spelling, if I am not mistaken.

The ICAO has, however standardized English as the universal air communication language for pilots and control towers. But, just try English flying in France and its territories and you will not normally get the cooperation and communication you expect. They are still sore over losing the Prime Meridian of Longitude location battle. I submit this with reservations, as I expect some flak.

Ztex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I did not realize you are in the UK. (didn't look at your info closely).

Yes I posted the US regulation....

FireFox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO worries, my fault for not posting that info first

I'll be moving to Australia before I do that, also need the PPL first:)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: