Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Which lens?       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography

Canon or Sigma
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Which lens? 
Chris Hall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Which lens? Reply with quote

I will soon be in the market for a new lens, but I have a dilema, which one to go for?
Either the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens or the Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM Lens.

I like the range the Sigma offers but have heard the Canon is sharper at the top end.
Just wondering if anyone has tried both and what opinions you have on either lens?

FBE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

buy the Canon lens Exclamation

I used the the Sigma with the EOS350D, on the 50D it came to its limits. When I got the 7D, I changed to the 100-400. First impression was, that I could not believe the leap in IQ and sharpness!

If you have a good Canon service you should take the camera and lens there, to adjust both. Thatīs what I did and since then, everything works really fine!

Fritz

Last edited by FBE on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I've no experience with the Sigma lens but have used the Canon EF 100-400mm for some years together with a 40D and am very satisfied with the results although I seldom exceed 300mm.
Some users have not been too happy with the push/pull but once you've used it a few times there really is not a problem.
I suspect that the higher cost of the Canon lens buys some additional quality.

I'm about to dump my D20 due to the slow focussing and replace it with a D60 which seems to have all the spec I have a need for. The D60 + the 100-400 will be a slightly lighter combination.

Malcolm.

Ztex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the non-stabilized Sigma 50-500 for a couple of years now and over all I would say I am satisfied with it. The range is fantastic, the quality is great. It has worked flawlessly for two and 1/2 years, first on the Canon Rebel XTi and now on the 60D.
It is soft at 500mm and even worse than soft if the light is not optimal. As with all big lenses, the better the light the better the image.

At roughly half the cost of the Canon 100-400 it is a bargain. If you are looking at the stabilized Sigma vs the Canon ..the price is close enough that I would buy the Canon...

I kept saving money for the Canon...and every time I saved up close to the Canon cost....the 400mm would jump in price again.. at $1,600 I just couldn't seem to justify it to myself or my management....ie wife Laughing

Here are some fast jets taken recently on the 60D.

This is a 500mm example...

And one at 300MM

Static Jet
64MM on the Rebel

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, looks like I will be going for the Canon lens

Joe Fernandez Imaging

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer the 100-400 Canon over the Sigma. I have used both and they are very good but would give the likely edge especially in sharpness to the Canon. Sigma telephoto zooms seem to be very touchy on focus at the high settings (450-500mm). They are not as sharp. They are very good in the range of 50 to around 300.

You also don't need vibration control or autofocus. Good manual focusing (and pre-focusing) techniques are good enough. VR control adds $100-200 to your price tag.

A good setup of lenses for Canon would be a 20-35, 28-135, and 100-400L. The new 28-300 L also works very well. Remember, even with 300, you are shooting the equivalent of almost 400mm back in film days.
That covers 95% of all you would use. Avoid fisheye lenses in aviation photography unless you do interiors, cockpits, or terminals/buildings. It is not good for planes - they make them look distorted and like gliders while trying to be too artsy - not too popular with seasoned photographers or enthusiasts.

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some further comments.

The 100-400 Canon is universally accepted as an excellent lens. The only criticism I have heard is that it is a little soft when set above 300mm, but this is not my experience.

On the subject of lenses I use two; a 17-85mm IS USM Canon and the 100-400mm. I also have two Canon bodies, a 20D, shortly to be replaced by a 60D, and a 40D. The 20D is unfortunately slow to focus on auto and is rather dated in other respects. I have found that two bodies and two lenses are quite adequate, the advantage being that I don't have to "miss" any shots when changing lenses. The gap between 85 and 100mm has never been a problem.

On the question of focussing, I have never used the manual focus setting even for static shots. The auto focus setting on both lenses is needle sharp and particularly when using the 100-400 lens for shots of aircraft in the air, this setting enables me to concentrate solely on framing the subject.

Joe Fernandez Imaging

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use autofocus on any action shot - because of past experiences with ancient auto systems and just the old time feeling of when we shot film. On an action shot, I simply pre-focus on the area I will shoot then have that set until the plane passed by there. It works for me and don't have to worry about the focusing going back and forth trying to look for a spot and eventually losing the shot. It has worked for me for decades and guarantees me the shot will be made.

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens and a Canon 40D as my 350D is getting a bit old. The 40D arrived today so I will have a play with it at the weekend.

Any opinions as to add a battery grip, as I am concerned about adding to the weight and having it hanging round my neck for several hours at airshows and flyins

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Canon BG-E2 battery grip for some years but used it only a few times. It adds quite a bit of weight to the camera body and I found the camera to be rather cumbersome and more difficult to handle. Provided you keep a close eye on the charge level of the battery in the camera and don't wait for it to go completely flat at the wrong moment, I think it's preferable to keep a couple of spare batteries in your pocket. Changing a battery is a fairly quick operation.
A 40D, 100-400 lens and a battery pack would be a real handful for me!

Malcolm.

Ztex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XTi and the new 60D have had great battery life. I have been able to shoot from sun up to sun down at an airshow with one battery on the 60D. Keeping a spare little battery in my pocket is much better than lugging the extra weight of a grip pack...but now I carry two cameras, a small video cam, voice recorder...lol...back pack required.
Rolling Eyes Wink

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new lens arrived today

But what a nightmare I had. I originally ordered it from an online company called Simply Electronics Ltd which turned out to be a massive and very nearly, costly mistake. As a warning to any consumers out there, please read my and other peoples reviews at

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.simplyelectronics.net

This company follows a pattern of taking your money and not supply goods.

FBE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

very soon you will love this lens and forget all the trouble you had! You made a good choice!

Fritz

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the lens for the first time yesterday at Kemble, Staverton and Birmingham. On first viewing of the images, I am very pleased. Going to a motor racing meeting now, so will get some more practice. I also find the push/pull zoom very easy to use

Lens 
Joe Fernandez Imaging

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Lens Reply with quote

Well, I think that the best choices for the money, construction, and professional glass is the 100-400L or 28-300L Canon, the 80-400VR for Nikon, and some of the Sigma 150-500 or 50-500 pro level lenses. They will cover most of what you need in aviation telephoto range with very good professional results. They also run under $2000 new.....and you don't really need VR or anything like that if you are a seasoned photographer.

Those are great choices to cover most of the telephoto side of the hobby. Don't be fooled by people who say that the only way you can become a pro airplane shooter is to own the 800mm 5.6. Pro level photos can be achieved by the above mentioned lenses to the fullest level even if you still shoot film!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: