Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Need some info on G-EBBT ?       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography

Need some info on G-EBBT ? 
OLDIRON

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Need some info on G-EBBT ? Reply with quote

Hello. I am new to this forum, and would like some direction, if possible. I am looking for identification, and information on the plane my Grandfather flew to America on. I have this picture, but no one left in family to get any info from. Guess I am getting old. Pretty good with old bikes, but the FU 4 Corsair Gull-wing is about the only plane I know anything about. Ba Ba Black Sheep, if anyone remembers. The picture was taken in Amsterdam, and is what brought my Grandfather over here. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to trace the family history.
Take Care,<John>.

103_2149.JPG
 Description:
One guess I had gotten was a G-EBBT, but don't know.
 Filesize:  989.58 KB
 Viewed:  9231 Time(s)

103_2149.JPG

G-EBBT 
L-5jockey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: G-EBBT Reply with quote

Looking at your photo, my guess, would be a Handley Page W series aircraft, W.8B twin engine version, open cockpit in nose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Type_W

UK registration G-EBBT was also worn by a DH.34B, (single engine) Imperial Airways around 1923; so this may be a bit confusing to research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH.34

An approx date, of the photo would be helpful Smile

I took the liberty to resize/tweek your image, for easier ID,
Hope this helps...

John

photo2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  363.12 KB
 Viewed:  9201 Time(s)

photo2.jpg

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-EEBT was registered on the 10th June 1924 and deregistered on 20th January 1927

OLDIRON

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response L-5Jockey and Mr Hall. I am not even sure it is a G-EBBT, but was steered in that direction. I do see that the landing gear setup is different, and can not see the open cockpit.( Not saying it's not there, just can't see it in photo). Also, thanks for resizing photo for me. Not sure of the date, like I said, no one left to ask.
John

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sure that John's first guess is correct.

It is not a DH.34B which was a single engine aircraft.

Assuming that it had a CAA registration, three Handley Page HP W8B's are listed in the register.

G-EBBG dates from 1924 to 1928
G-EBBH dates from 1924 to 1931
G-EBBI dates from 1926 to 1932.

It appears not to be the three engined variant and therefore has to a B, C, F or G and B is the most likely. The diffferences relate to the engine type.
The W10 was also a twin engined aircraft.

Unfortunately I am unable to find any evidence of this aircraft type flying the Atlantic and I am doubtful whether it had the range; it was mostly used for short flights into Europe, typically London/Paris.

Not too helpful I'm afraid!

I would be inclined to contact the Royal Air Force Museum at Hendon.
This is an example from their History of Aviation time line and relates to 1919 and includes civil flights. Doubtless they have similar info for later dates.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/history-of-aviation-timeline/interactive-aviation-timeline/british-civil-aviation/1919.aspx

Malcolm
Admin.

THoff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm, you're conversing with a spambot which partially quoted L-5jockey's post in order to produce on-topic material and keep it from being detected/deleted.

I'm sure the spambot's profile will be updated in due time to link to some website hawking knock-off handbags or some such thing. There are dozens if not hundreds of these profiles on this site.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: