Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Upload Issue       

Upload Issue 
Christian Maurer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Upload Issue Reply with quote

Hello,

I just recently got a Nikon D3400 and now when ever I try to upload a photo tho the website, it sends a message saying An error occured during upload. Please try again.
Picture size is too small or an error occured during uploading.

How do I fix this?

Thank you,
Christian

red750

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions, Christian,

What size photo are you trying to upload (horizontal pixels x vertical pixels), eg 1024x768 and file size in kb?

Secondly, what format are the photos - .jpg, .png, .raw?

Peter.

red750

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the specs of your D3400, and it's a 24 mp camera. In other words, the image is 6000x4000pixels in size, and the file size, depending on complexity and mix of colors will be about 3.5 Gb. Unless you set you camera for a smaller resolution, your files will be too big.

For example, my Lumix shoots 4000x3000 (12 mp.) File size is about 5.5 Mb. To upload, I resize to 1024x768 with a file size about 300kb). The website software will resize the image again to suit the page format, but a file much larger than 500kb uses too much bandwidth and storage space. Images should preferably be saved in.jpg format.

Below is a resizing guide I have created for other websites, and have posted on this site before. Download the .pdf file below.

Resizing the Image.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Resizing the Image.pdf
 Filesize:  396.63 KB
 Downloaded:  468 Time(s)

red750

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realiased after posting the above reply that the method of resizing described uses the photo editing software PhotoScape. The same thing can be achieved quite simply using MS Paint. Here are these instructions.

RESIZING AN IMAGE USING MS Paint.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RESIZING AN IMAGE USING MS Paint.pdf
 Filesize:  243.78 KB
 Downloaded:  406 Time(s)

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that years ago this site stated a requisite photo lower limit of 200 kilobytes and an upper limit of 4 megabytes for photo uploads. My current Canon DSLR can yield substantially higher resolution photos so I edit my needed ZoomBrowser files to fall between these resolution numbers. Centering your photo image on shooting and editing the size should fix your problem. My photo edit software can show the resolution number of the photo.

red750

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I like this site is because there is no screening. I like to think I can produce photos of reasonable quality. I have submitted to many sites and had fairly good success, but another site I submitted to in the past became increasingly difficult to satisfy.

For example, the resized photo in the MS-Paint instructions would be unacceptable because there is too much dead space around the aircraft. A tighter crop is required. Preferably a 16:9 aspect ratio rather than the standard 4:3 ratio, as shown in the image below, to cut out the excessive foreground and sky. Secondly, there is vignetting in the top corners, ie. darker shading than the rest of the sky. And thirdly, the white cowl on the nose is over-exposed, and yet excessive Photoshopping is not acceptable either. It all makes for a very low acceptance rate.

It's funny, but camera clubs dislike centered images, for the the 'rule of thirds' applies, where you divide the frame in three, horizontally and vertically, and then place the subject on one of the intersections of those lines.

VH-CCE Antonov An-2 YLIL 20111105 right 1qtr 16x9.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.81 KB
 Viewed:  4412 Time(s)

VH-CCE Antonov An-2 YLIL 20111105 right 1qtr 16x9.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: