Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Article "Like" Counts Removal       

Article "Like" Counts Removal 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Article "Like" Counts Removal Reply with quote

Apparently all "Like" counts have been recently removed from the Articles section. Ken incorporated this feature quite a while ago. Why now are the counts apparently gone? I found it a stimulus to preparing more articles. And who did this removal? The site users/builders deserve to know.

View counts of all Aircraft photos have always been on the site. Restoration of Article "Like" counts should be on the agenda as well. Sad

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Robertson.

I can, with certainty, assure you that the count in question will not have been intentionally removed as you imply but is likely to be yet another glitch arising from recent software problems.

I have emailed Mr Wang to bring this matter to his attention and who I feel sure will be only too happy to look into the problem now that far more serious difficulties have been resolved.

Malcolm Clarke
Administration Team.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Like" count feature for aircraft articles has been restored, (I only checked my Articles here and I thank whoever restored that feature of this fine site). Using the Forum to point out discrepancies works and should not be criticized. My early years correspondence with Ken helped establish some of the additional excellent features of this aviation site.
: Smile

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug and all,

During the server move, I made some minor changes to the site. Reason is that the whole web has evolved a lot in past years, new tools and styles came out, some software packages I used are either upgraded to new version, or have been discontinued.

For example, google maps changed it's policy a few years ago, no more free access (well to be fair they still do, but only with a limit, and with your credit card on file in case you go over free quota), google plus one button is cancelled.

So I removed google plus one, along with facebook like on many pages. I also removed the facebook link in the page footer, as the destination page is "Not found". Looks like facebook deleted airport-data.com page some time ago.

Though the facebook like button on articel pages was not removed. I guess it's a temporary issue. Since Doug asked, I will leave the button there.

Another issue is now more and more users browse internet from their mobile devices, so making the site mobile friendly becomes very important. Airport-Data statistics show about 30% visitors are from mobile devices, with iPhone being the most popular.

From now on I will try my best to find time for site maintenance. I will mainly focus on bringing the site up to current standard and style.

A few things on mind:

* Move site to HTTPS, to be more secure
* Remove all google maps, replace with new ones.
* Update some packages to current version, especially bootstrap and jquery, and make this site mobile friendly at the same time.
* Change forum software, either to newer version of phpBB (which we currently use), or to a different one. Haven't decided yet.
* Update some database, such as FAA aircraft registry, USA airport, etc.
* Update member section to make its style consistent with main site.

And these jobs will take a long time. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Ken

This site's Article "Likes Count" has disappeared  
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: This site's Article "Likes Count" has disappeared Reply with quote

The title states it all. The "Likes Count" was a valuable article "popularity" author (and aircraft photographer) asset that now once again has been removed from this site. It also noted popularity of certain article aircraft types composed for this site. The "Likes Count" also paid tribute to the true photographer of the article aircraft who was not necessarily the author of the article. As an article author I always requested (and received) photo usage permission from the true aircraft photographer with photo credit attached.

As the article "Likes count" was restored earlier, can it be restored again with the true count as of the present article removal? A timely response is solicited. Thank you.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well presented Jasin! I am still hoping for restoration of the article count feature, even if it has to start from scratch. Thank you for keeping this issue alive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: