Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz No.114       

Aircraft Quiz No.114 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz No.114 Reply with quote

Two answers needed re the Infancy stage of Aviation.

1. What noted scientist assumed erroneously that only the shape of a frontal body determined air resistance, leading to his determination mathematically that a flying machine could NOT fly.

2. What different person-noted physicist stated flatly that "I have NOT the smallest molecule of faith in aerial navigation other than ballooning".

(I am NOT making these up!) There can be only a one different person correct answer to each of the two stumpers. Have at it! Rolling Eyes

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With over 100 views and no responses, here are the answers, which may surprise.

1. Sir Isaac Newton, working in the field of air resistance, erroneously assumed that only the shape of the frontal part of an object determined air resistance. He calculated lift incorrectly and with mathematics demonstrated the impossibility of a flying machine. True info!!

2. In 1896 the noted British physicist, Lord Kelvin said "I have NOT the smallest molecule of faith in aerial navigation other than ballooning".

In the very early stages of aviation, many if not most scientists regarded flight experimentation as bizarre as attempting to create gold from chemistry.

I thank all who were perplexed by this quiz-my intent! Also, in these quizzes I hope to impart some aviation knowledge/history to the reader, however bizarre at times. Your thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: