Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Request: Multiple Photo Uploader      Goto page 1, 2  Next 

Request: Multiple Photo Uploader 
concord977

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Request: Multiple Photo Uploader Reply with quote

It would be very helpful if multiple files could be uploaded at once, while still maintaining the data-validation requirements.

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about that too. But there's one problem here.

If a user want to upload multiple photos of different aircraft, or multiple photos with different descriptions, then I have to duplicate every field (or at least airport and desciption fields) multiple times, which defeat the purpose of multiple uploading.

If you want to upload multiple photos with everything else exactly the same, then it may encourage people putting inadequate descriptions (i.e., you might put different descriptions if uploaded separately, but since uploading them together is easier, you can live with same description), so I am hesitate of doing that.

Any input is welcome.

Ken

Connor Shepard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would work is to upload just the raw photos all at once and then edit the data for them after they are on the site but before they are made visible.

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connor Shepard wrote:
What would work is to upload just the raw photos all at once and then edit the data for them after they are on the site but before they are made visible.

This could be a way to go.

Ken

concord977

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sort of what I had in mind:

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added a new multi-upload function, named workshop. Go check your member section.

Feedback is welcome, as always.

Ken

concord977

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS for offering a solution so quickly! This method will work fine.

I did notice one issue. The new uploader would not accept a file that was 4.2mb in size, claiming it was too large. The single-file uploader accepts the file.

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

concord977 wrote:
I did notice one issue. The new uploader would not accept a file that was 4.2mb in size, claiming it was too large. The single-file uploader accepts the file.

I put a cap of 4MB on the multiple uploader. Is it too small?

Ken

Connor Shepard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

concord977 wrote:
The new uploader would not accept a file that was 4.2mb in size, claiming it was too large. The single-file uploader accepts the file.

In my experience I find it unnecessary to upload such a large file. The site limits displayed images to 1280 pixels due to screen size restraints. Uploading a file larger than this is redundant. I use Google's Picasa to edit my photos in adjusting lighting, etc. It also has an export function which allows you to reduce the dimensions of a group of photos. This also reduces the file size. See this thread. I re-size mine to 1280 pixels using the "Normal" setting. File size is reduced significantly and consequently the upload time.

Hope this helps

Connor Shepard

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, only a tiny portion of our visitors have a screen resolution larger than 1440. Though uploading an image with resolution higher than 1280 is still recommended, the reason is we need to shrink the original to make two different sizes: 1280 and 800 in width. Higher resolution will result better 800 pixel width image. And if the original is not exactly 1280 but a little bit higher, say 1300 or 1400, the result of 1280 width one would be slightly worse.

Again higher resolution means longer upload time. So make your own choice base on free time, internet speed, etc. All photos are equally welcomed.

Ken

Timothy Aanerud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the thumbnail of the image. I would find it helpful if the image base file name was shown when finishing/tagging the photo.

Another time saving feature for both regular uploading and the finishing/tagging screen would be to display our personalized folder id combo box. It would have to be tweaked slightly so it the selection is submitted when the submit button is pressed.

euroastar350

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the new feature, I just uploaded 29 new photos of N186AE...saved me time instead of doing them one by one Very Happy BTW...long time lurker, first post here. My name is George Arana and hope to add more photos in the near future Smile

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timothy Aanerud wrote:

Another time saving feature for both regular uploading and the finishing/tagging screen would be to display our personalized folder id combo box. It would have to be tweaked slightly so it the selection is submitted when the submit button is pressed.

Great idea. I will work on it soon.

Ken

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euroastar350,

Welcome aboard! I like the detail shots of your chopper ride and their informed captions-way to go! This site has too many photos without any meaningful captions or aircraft descriptions; hope you have started a trend. If joining as a member, this then permits editing of captions/descriptions and arranging of one's photos.

Ztex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the updates!
And the new one today! The "move photo to" option before uploading! Good idea Timothy!

Great work Ken!

Making a great site even better!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: