Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Unknown Category      Goto page Previous  1, 2 

Glenn E. Chatfield

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm, I liked the shot of the B-47 as it was, just the tail needed sharpening for a definitive ID. But I think I got it right anyway.

Last night I skimmed through the "unknowns" and found almost a dozen I could ID and email the appropriate photographers. I think if those of us who are able to ID planes were to take some occasional time to skim through and ID what we can, we will substantially lower the number of Unknowns. Large formation shots are troublesome - maybe the suggestion of listing them at the airport might be of value for them - or maybe there could be a "formation" section!

Another thing I see are the many, many long-distance shots that I question as to their value. I wonder why some photographers post these shots.

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another thing I see are the many, many long-distance shots that I question as to their value. I wonder why some photographers post these shots.

I too have asked myself the same question many times but and can only guess at the answer. Pocket digital cameras and mobile phones, together with access to the internet are no doubt the culprits and I fail to understand why anyone would believe that such images have any value.

Is there any possibility of introducing additional uploading criteria?

Is this worth a general discussion? Anyone wish to comment?

Malcolm.

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know that Ken provides this site as a hobby. We also know he is busy with his day job, so cannot monitor the site fulltime.

So as a suggestion, how about having a small team of photograph screener's (like many other photo sites) but without some of the strict screening conditions. Just to check that the basic details and ID's are correct.

Ztex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm,

Those are great shots! Love the Shack photo! and the Tornado pic is indeed a nice shot!

I enjoy prowling around your collection of photos.

The European stuff is always interestingly different than what we in the US see.

Thanks!

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So my guess, looking at all the available serials in the 1952 FY, would be 52-118, then the tail number would be 2118. What do you think?

Glenn.

I'm having second thoughts after checking out this reg with Scramble. many of the registrations in this series are F-86H's.
Co-incidentally an image has been recently uploaded to Airliners.net

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-B-47E-Stratojet/1614900/M/

which is of a B-47 of similar vintage operating in the UK at around the same time.
I doubt that it is the same airframe as tail decor is different but it would seem more likely that my image was from the same series allocation.

Any further thoughts?

Malcolm.

RAF Brize Norton B-47 
L-5jockey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: RAF Brize Norton B-47 Reply with quote

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/485460L.html

Malcolm

My guess would be tail# 2419 (serial 52-419),
if you took the photo after the delivery date (1952-53) of that frame??

Looking at the photo, with my eyes squinted,
there seems to be larger spacing between
the 2 and second digit, (4 ?) as compared to the
spacing after the third digit 1 and the 9).
c/n 450704 - B-47E-80-BW 52-0419.

John

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So as a suggestion, how about having a small team of photograph screener's (like many other photo sites) but without some of the strict screening conditions. Just to check that the basic details and ID's are correct.

I'm more than a bit disappointed that there seems to be so little interest in introducing some form of beneficial change to the uploading procedure. As time passes, the accuracy of the database will continue to deteriorate and I would have hoped for some form of filtration of uploaded data.
Another helpful improvement for the benefit of those less experienced in uploading images would be to list the more obvious sources of identification, e.g. CAA, FAA, Scramble, Warbirdregistry, etc., perhaps even the more reliable photo websites such as Airliners, JetPhotos and Air Britain.

Quote:
I enjoy prowling around your collection of photos.
The European stuff is always interestingly different than what we in the US see

Thanks for your kind words Zane. I have to say that I have enjoyed the informality in many of the images in your collection, perhaps I need to loosen up a bit! Maybe this is down to many years of endeavouring to comply with the strict confines of Airliners.net.

Lastly my thanks to both Glenn and John regarding the B-47 identification; your advice is greatly appreciated but I have finally concluded that there remains a degree of uncertainty and therefore will leave the airframe as an unknown for the present.

Malcolm.

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrections provided by Peter and Chris have been applied to the database.

Given the fact that I don'thave much free time, I would be glad if a small team of members can help me fixing the database and photo collection. My idea is to add a report function to each page, aircraft or photo, to collect corrections provided by all members(let's call them tickets). Then a member of the team can pick up any ticket and solve it using functions specially programmed for this purpose. The existing airframe correcting function can also be incorporated into the new ticket system.

Any feedback is always welcome.

Ken

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airport-Data wrote:

Any feedback is always welcome.

strange how this thread has suddenly gone quiet after being one of the most active in recent weeks Wink

Ken, as you provide this site for us all to use, I am willing to help in any way I can

regards

Chris

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little disappointed at the apparent lack of interest in something which affects all those who have an interest in the site - the accuracy of the information contained in the database. As Chris rightly points out, this is a site for us all to use.

Ken's proposal has a great deal of merit in that it would allow others, at their leisure, to progressively correct the errors. It would not prevent on-going errors but it would be a positive step forward.

If anyone doubts the level of inaccuracy, I would suggest having a look at this one area

http://www.airport-data.com/manuf/A.html

Avions Mudry for example (not suggesting this is necessarily the correct description) has 5 different entries for what is clearly the same manufacturer. Not helpful I would suggest for those searching the database under this manufacturer and also when someone uploads a new reg, they are left with these multiple choices and errors may be compounded.

I believe that the site deserves better!

Malcolm.

Connor Shepard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/389495.html

I was reviewing my database and found this. It looks like the last part of the tail number was cut off. There are several airframes that start with N31 but without photos it is hard to determine. If someone could identify the type that would be helpful. It is definitely experimental, but is it a prefabricated model? Any help would be appreciated.

-Connor

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Connor.

I am fairly confident the the airframe is a Curtiss JN-4-D Jenny, and is most likely a replica. The only N number which may fit the bill is N3177D cn1321. No doubt someone on your side of the pond will be able confirm this.

When photographing an aircraft, I don't make a point of including the registration in my choice of angle, but always take an additional shot if required just to record the reg. A 'no cost' action in our digital age.

Nice image and well worth the upload!

Malcolm.

mkiogima

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been able to identify a "few" more of the Unknowns:

The first four were taken at the Thunder in the Desert Air Show at Luke AFB in 2009.
Photo #311485 is BUNO 01-4024.
Photo #311499 is BUNO 89-2056.
Photo #311510 is BUNO 86-0134.
Photo #311511 is BUNO 57-2598.

The next two were taken at Fun n' Sun 2009:
Photo #318633 is BUNO 76-1591.
Photo #318636 is Tail # N911FH.

Random:
Photo #329881 is Tail # C-GDAK.

The next five are from the USS Intrepid:
Photo #349271 is BUNO 150628.
Photo #349275 is BUNO 142833.
Photo #349297 is BUNO 70-15956.
Photo #349306 is BUNO 159232.
Photo #349308 is BUNO 159218.

The next two are from Osh Kosh 2009:
Photo #363058 is BUNO 91-0479.
Photo #365736 is Tail # N348MS.

The rest are just more randoms that I found:
Photo #377570 is Tail # OH-LKN.
Photo #426015 is Tail # N179JB.
Photo #432232 is Tail # N167F.

Photo #468567 is going to need a little bit of an explanation as to how I determined it was Tail # N457AA just so you don't think i pulled that number out of my a**.

If you open the large version of Photo #468567, and look directly below the third and fourth windows from the front, you will see the numbers 457 just above and to the left of the two red circles. Knowing that most (if not all) of American Airlines’ tail numbers end in AA, you can combine the two to get the tail number. I’m not sure how accurate this method is but I’m fairly confident it works in this case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: