Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz No.115       

Aircraft Quiz No.115 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz No.115 Reply with quote

What aircraft, as originally proposed, would not have any landing gear, a feature which would result in a great weight saving. Takeoffs would be facilitated by a jettison-able three-wheeled cart that left the aircraft as soon as the plane was airborne.

Landing the aircraft was facilitated by retractable skids (into the fuselage and engine nacelles). The first-built aircraft used the cart for takeoff and the skids for landing.

The aircraft was originally missioned as a reconnaissance plane, later fitted with bomb racks, both external and internal. Just to confuse you more, because of its excellent performance, it was also tested as a fighter, but the war ended before that version was available.

1. Full Name of aircraft?

2. Top speed?

3. Country of build?

4. Year of first flight?

moxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the following may be correct.

1. Arado 234 Model V1. Later named Blitz.

2. Arado reckoned it would do 480 mph with it's Jumo 004 engines but records appear to show maximum speed of 461 mph. This was a later model though.

3. Germany

4. July 30th 1943 at Rheine airfield now Rheine-Bentlage Air Base.

Best regards
Rob

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BINGO!!! My congrats to Rob, good enough! My source only differs with top speed over 500 mph at 19,000 feet altitude. The Arado Blitz was also tested as a fighter aircraft. And unarmed versions for reconnaissance saw action in the fall of 1944. A few bomber versions appeared even later, according to my source. (Which I prefer to not name).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: