Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
When People Don't Understand What You're Doing      Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography

When People Don't Understand What You're Doing 
davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: When People Don't Understand What You're Doing Reply with quote

I had an interesting experience at last Sunday's monthly Airport Day at Fullerton Airport.

An "older" gentleman walked up to me while I was on the tarmac photographing planes that I've never seen before at Fullerton, and he said to me that a bunch of the pilots were speculating about what I was up to, since I only seemed to be photographing the "tails" of each aircraft.

Well, I reassured this gentleman that I photographed these aircraft from every angle -- front, center, and tail -- and that I posted these photos to Airport-Data. com. I asked the gentleman if he had ever heard of this Website and he replied that he hadn't. Now, this is my first incredulous question. How can you be an F-ing pilot and not know about A-D.com?

Now I will credit this older gentleman. He told me that he said to the other pilots that they should simply walk up to me and ask me what I was up to. At least he had the "cahones" to do so.

Frankly, I don't give a crap about what anyone thinks about my activities, just as long as I'm doing nothing illegal. And as long as the powers that be at Fullerton Airport throw open the gates every second Sunday of the month, then I feel free to photograph whatever the "F" I feel like photographing. Just as long as I don't stray onto a taxiway or runway 6/24.

This brings up a related topic. I have a number of people ask me if I'm a pilot. When I tell them no, they're always puzzled as to why I'd be hanging out at an airport photographing airplanes. When I tell them that I'm no different than the NASCAR fan who has never sat behind the wheel of a racecar that can go 200 mph, or the train fanatic who has never piloted a Burlington Northern and Santa Fe locomotive, these folks give me a puzzled look. So my second incredulous question is, why can't pilots and other airport related people understand that there are other people who dig what they do, but who really have no desire to spend $10,000 to actually learn to do what they do.

I, for one, have no desire to ever fly in a single engine prop job. The "smallest" aircraft I've ever flown in is a BAe 146. Yet, I'm still interested in photographing these single and twin engine GA aircraft. Yet, a lot of these airport folks just don't seem to understand my presence at the airport four or five times a month.

Re: When People Don't Understand What You're Doing 
Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: When People Don't Understand What You're Doing Reply with quote

davidhcrocker wrote:
I asked the gentleman if he had ever heard of this Website and he replied that he hadn't. Now, this is my first incredulous question. How can you be an F-ing pilot and not know about A-D.com?

That means we, especially myself, still has a lot of work to do. Very Happy

Ken

Bluedharma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidhcrocker wrote:
How can you be an F-ing pilot and not know about A-D.com?

Most pilots that I have talked to have only heard about A-D.com after they have googled the N#.
That is not that surprising considering the large group of people who fly. Some are weekend flyers, others fly for a living.

davidhcrocker wrote:

When I tell them no, they're always puzzled as to why I'd be hanging out at an airport photographing airplanes.

This is a great opportunity for you to promote A-D.com and your own photos.
I have found that after talking to a few of these pilots that question what I do, most of them do not have pictures of their aircraft in flight.
By providing the pilots photos at no cost, they often give me a “heads up” when certain events will happen or allow me to “cross the yellow tape” at air shows.

The more people you know, the better off you are is really the case when it comes to airport photography.
I find most of my best opportunities are arrived at after I start up a chat with someone who does not know what I am doing.

http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/Bluedharma;1045/
bluedharmaairportdata@gmail.com

davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bluedharma"][quote="davidhcrocker"] How can you be an F-ing pilot and not know about A-D.com?[/quote]
Most pilots that I have talked to have only heard about A-D.com after they have googled the N#.
That is not that surprising considering the large group of people who fly. Some are weekend flyers, others fly for a living.

[quote="davidhcrocker"]
When I tell them no, they're always puzzled as to why I'd be hanging out at an airport photographing airplanes.[/quote]
This is a great opportunity for you to promote A-D.com and your own photos.
I have found that after talking to a few of these pilots that question what I do, most of them do not have pictures of their aircraft in flight.
By providing the pilots photos at no cost, they often give me a “heads up” when certain events will happen or allow me to “cross the yellow tape” at air shows.

The more people you know, the better off you are is really the case when it comes to airport photography.
I find most of my best opportunities are arrived at after I start up a chat with someone who does not know what I am doing.[/quote]

Well, as you read in my earlier post, the pilots at Fullerton aren't exactly forthcoming in asking me about my activities, except for the old guy who came up to me a couple of Sundays ago. And, as it turned out, he doesn't even fly anymore because he thinks he's too old. Bottomline, the guys who display their planes the second Sunday of each month have yet to say "boo" to me. Most of the people who ask me if I'm a pilot ask this question outside the gates, so I guess they aren't even pilots in their own right. They see my Radio Shack scanner with the rubber duck antenna and just naturally assume that I must be a pilot.

I will say that I haven't exactly been forthcoming in my own right with the pilots who display at Fullerton. Mainly because I photographed their planes 18 months ago, so what do I care about them anymore? I now visit Fullerton to shoot aircraft I've never seen before. Plus, if I really want to know about their planes, I can just visit A-D or the FAA Web sites. Not that I'm trying to be unsocial, but I kinda feel like it's up to the pilots to break the ice, since I'm at the airport on a specific mission, to photograph "new" aircraft to add to the database.

Plus, this still doesn't answer my question as to why these folks can't understand that I'm no different than the NASCAR fan who loves racecars or the locomotive train fanatic. I'm not a pilot, but I still "dig" airplanes. How hard is that to understand?

Bluedharma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidhcrocker wrote:

Plus, this still doesn't answer my question as to why these folks can't understand that I'm no different than the NASCAR fan who loves racecars or the locomotive train fanatic. I'm not a pilot, but I still "dig" airplanes. How hard is that to understand?

I wish I could help with that one. Not sure. I don't think it is hard to understand... But I have the same hobby.
Some people like to go fishing not to fish but to relax.
Some like to golf. Some people like to take pictures of aircraft. If others do not understand then we can choose to teach them, or to move on.

Someone told me once... Those that matter do not mind, and those who mind do not matter....
So don't worry what these guys understand about the hobby.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Please come to Santa Paula airport SZP on a First Sunday Aviation Museum of Santa Paula Open House and Fly-In for photography and more. Hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. but I get there early about 0830 for parking. There are always early fly-in arrivals for good on-final shots, plus local training flights. It is an open, different kind of airport with interested pilots and open hangars. The visitor pilots are friendly also and freely roam the airport; just don't cross the runway. 4-22 can be walked around either overrun end, with vigilance. The fly-in aircraft are as interesting as the rare, unusual or one-of-a-kind based aircraft.

The self-serve fuel dock is a good place to converse, especially if there is an unusual engine conversion, for example. Take a look at N36PC photos for what a little conversation resulted in. I received a nice email later from the helpful, knowledgeable out of state pilot, who had one of only 40 STC'd Turbo Lycoming 350 Hp conversions that Machen made for Bonanzas. A Lycoming-powered A36 Bonanza with modified cowls attracted a lot of lookers and questions.

Two more emails were received yesterday from grateful pilots praising my photos of their aircraft. One noted he saw me on final photographing his aircraft. See N91866 on final. Another had prior mild aerobatic time in N240R, Steve Fossett's last ride, my photos of which were the only ones on the web. That was quite an interesting series of emails! I always thank praising emailers and that frequently results in more email. I, too, do not charge for use of my photos, but ask as to what use they may be put, if not evident from the request. I have been a pilot since the mid-'60s and that helps break the ice, too. Many pilots have never seen a photo of their aircraft in flight. A "hobby" card with your email address and the A-D site address is most useful to provide. I tailored my own aviation card at 123Print.

davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bluedharma"][quote="davidhcrocker"]
Someone told me once... Those that matter do not mind, and those who mind do not matter....
[/quote]

Sage words.

Bluedharma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Robertson wrote:
David,
Many pilots have never seen a photo of their aircraft in flight.

That is very true. It is amazing to me at how many pilots have never seen a photo of them in flight.
Most will jump at an offer for a free photo. The information received back about future events/fly-ins can be quite valuable!

N72922

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa Paula is a great place to photograph everything. You never know what might pop in for breakfast.

I wouldn't worry about the older guy at FUL. Im guessing he is the same one that runs the display day. I had a few words with him after he refused to sign my participation form because my aircraft was only displayed for 2 hours and not the whole day. I ended up getting it signed but the guy must've had a piece of shrapnel he was sitting on.

-Nick

A&P/IA/Commercial Pilot

davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bluedharma"][quote="Doug Robertson"][color=darkblue][b]David,
Many pilots have never seen a photo of their aircraft in flight. [/b][/color][/quote]

That is very true. It is amazing to me at how many pilots have never seen a photo of them in flight.
Most will jump at an offer for a free photo. The information received back about future events/fly-ins can be quite valuable![/quote]

Well, here's an interesting thing. Whenever I've had a pilot e-mail me about a photo, they always ask me if I have a higher resolution version. Remember, I'm using a rinky-dink 6 megapixel Canon Powershot 540. I kinda get offended at first, but simply tell them no, what they see on A-D is the highest resolution available. None of these folks have asked me to send them a photo.

Then, there's the airport shuttle service based in Camarillo, CA, which last Summer asked me about purchasing the rights to a photo I shot of the Van Nuys tower. Once I found out they were a profit making organization, I told them I would give them exclusive rights to my photo, which would include my deleting the photo from A-D as well as deleting all versions that I owned from my computer. All this for a measly $250. The cheap bastards never responded.

So, you might imagine my reluctance to respond to requests for my photos. Frankly, I don't need to be cushy-cushy with pilots to enjoy my hobby. All I need is a scanner that can receive 118-136 MHz and a camera. Although I'm hoping I can get a better camera in the future. I was hoping those cheap bastards in Camarillo would pay for a new camera. :D

'When People Don't Understand What You're Doing' 
Bluedharma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: 'When People Don't Understand What You're Doing' Reply with quote

David,
Your post topic is: 'When People Don't Understand What You're Doing'

It is very difficult to tell what "tone" people are using when they are posting to a forum.
But the perceived "tone" (by me) in this thread is that you don't care about what the pilots think.
And that is OK. Everyone has a right to enjoy a hobby the way they wish.
If I am off base here... then I apologize.

davidhcrocker wrote:

Frankly, I don't give a crap about what anyone thinks about my activities, just as long as I'm doing nothing illegal.

davidhcrocker wrote:

I will say that I haven't exactly been forthcoming in my own right with the pilots who display at Fullerton. Mainly because I photographed their planes 18 months ago, so what do I care about them anymore?

davidhcrocker wrote:

Frankly, I don't need to be cushy-cushy with pilots to enjoy my hobby.

What I am confused about is why you posted this question on A-D:
'When People Don't Understand What You're Doing'

You appear fustrated that they do not understand your road to the "good life".
But your answer appears to be there already.
Your enjoyment of the hobby does not require them to understand.

Now if you posted to get opinions of other A-D members then:
I happen to disagree with you. I think that you may be missing an opportunity to get more information or future photo opportunities.
Not all pilots are like the ones you encountered. In fact I have found the opposite to be true.
Almost every pilot I have met has gone out of his/her way to offer more information about aviation and
future aviation events. We have some very rare stuff here in Denver, and I often get a 'heads up' from people who hanger next to these aircraft.

That was how I found out about these.

Adams aircraft

Starship

I have had a very positive experience with pilots and airport security.
I look forward to making new contacts and getting photos of new aircraft.

My opinion doesn't make you wrong, I just have a different point of view on this aviation hobby.
Again if I am off base here... then I apologize.

Best Regards.

Re: 'When People Don't Understand What You're Doing' 
davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 'When People Don't Understand What You're Doing' Reply with quote

[quote="Bluedharma"]David,
Your post topic is: 'When People Don't Understand What You're Doing'

It is very difficult to tell what "tone" people are using when they are posting to a forum.
But the perceived "tone" (by me) in this thread is that you don't care about what the pilots think.
And that is OK. Everyone has a right to enjoy a hobby the way they wish.
If I am off base here... then I apologize.

[quote="davidhcrocker"]
Frankly, I don't give a crap about what anyone thinks about my activities, just as long as I'm doing nothing illegal.
[/quote]

[quote="davidhcrocker"]
I will say that I haven't exactly been forthcoming in my own right with the pilots who display at Fullerton. Mainly because I photographed their planes 18 months ago, so what do I care about them anymore?
[/quote]

[quote="davidhcrocker"]
Frankly, I don't need to be cushy-cushy with pilots to enjoy my hobby.
[/quote]

What I am confused about is why you posted this question on A-D:
[b]'When People Don't Understand What You're Doing'[/b]

You appear fustrated that they do not understand your road to the "good life".
But your answer appears to be there already.
Your enjoyment of the hobby does not require them to understand.

[b]Now if you posted to get opinions of other A-D members then:[/b]
I happen to disagree with you. I think that you may be missing an opportunity to get more information or future photo opportunities.
Not all pilots are like the ones you encountered. In fact I have found the opposite to be true.
Almost every pilot I have met has gone out of his/her way to offer more information about aviation and
future aviation events. We have some very rare stuff here in Denver, and I often get a 'heads up' from people who hanger next to these aircraft.

That was how I found out about these.

Adams aircraft
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2406/2351812390_411eddd89b.jpg[/img]

Starship
[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5252/5483658101_ab65a618ed.jpg[/img]

I have had a very positive experience with pilots and airport security.
I look forward to making new contacts and getting photos of new aircraft.

My opinion doesn't make you wrong, I just have a different point of view on this aviation hobby.
Again if I am off base here... then I apologize.

Best Regards.[/quote]

You're correct. I just wish the cheap shuttle service in Camarillo had given me $250 so I could buy a better camera. :D

SteveLTNSpot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say Luton is pretty good these days. Local Met very cooperative with Spotters and never any issues on the stepladder!

davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, having given it further thought, I think what prompted me to make the original post was the comment by the old, retired pilot that the other pilots thought I was simply photographing the "tails" of their aircraft, like I had some sort of fetish about the back ends of aircraft. Yet, if these pilots had been paying attention for the past 18 months they would have noticed that I photographed aircraft from every angle and also photographed aircraft while taxiing and in the air. I guess I expected that people who have an FAA license would be smarter than the general population, but I guess that some pilots are just as dumb as the general population, porportionately. Thank God I don't need them to enjoy my hobby.

red750

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been approached twice while taking photos at the airport, both on the same day and both positive. These experiences are detailed in the "harrassment" thread on the Airports forum - last post.

I also take photos of tails - after I photograph the whole aircraft. Its the easiest way to record the aicraft tail number to upload - usually I forget to take a pen or paper to jot them down. That way I can look up the details of the aircraft on the internet, particularly if there is no profile on A-D.

Regards,

Peter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Aviation Photography All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: