Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Lightroom 4 and EXIF-data       

Lightroom 4 and EXIF-data 
FBE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Lightroom 4 and EXIF-data Reply with quote

Hello together,

I post this topic, to help out my good friend and A-D photographer Jerzy Maciaszek. His english is not that good and he is facing the following Problem:

When processing a picture with Lightroom 4, export it as a "jpg" to the disk, then uploading it to A-D.com, the EXIF-data will not show up. Export the file, after processing it with LR4, to PS-Elements and simply save the "jpg" to disk, upload it to the page, the EXIF-data will be shown.

Does anyone face the same problem or has a solution to that issue?

Any help would be appreciated! Smile

greetings to all from Germany

Fritz

THoff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not alone. I've been using Lightroom for years and have never been able to get A-D to recognize the EXIF data.

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious!

I have been using various issues of Photoshop Elements for many years and now have Elements 10 which seems to satisfy all my needs for editing images.

Other than the problem you have with the failure to retain EXIF data, what are the advantages of using Lightroom software ?

Malcolm.

FBE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm,

as I wrote, my friend Jerzy is using Lightroom and has also PS-Elements to work with. He reports a loss of quality, when transfering a picture to PS-E via jpg ... if there is no solution, he might need to export a TIFF and then saving the files as a jpg via PS-e.

Lightroom itself, is a very comfortable way to handle and develope pictures and very common with many photographers. I use Adobe Bridge and CS4 and there is no problem with this solution.

greetings

Fritz

THoff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot all my photos RAW to get the maximum quality out of my images.

All cameras that I know of use lossy JPEG compression so some fine detail is already lost before the images is even recorded to the memory card.

If you shoot RAW then that detail is preserved and you can make color corrections (such as changing the whitebalance) without any penalty. You can also take advantage of future improvements in the RAW-to-JPEG development algorithms, as was the case with the introduction of Adobe Lightroom V4 when it switched from the "2010" to the "2012" process.

I've attached two sample images comparing the two processes. The differences are subtle, my recommendation is to download the files to your computer and view them using Windows Photo Viewer and then using the left and right arrow keys to switch between them. The "2012" image is much clearer and seems to have a haze lifted from it. The colors are more vibrant and there are areas where there is more detail.

2010.jpg
 Description:
"2010" Process
 Filesize:  761.73 KB
 Viewed:  22127 Time(s)

2010.jpg

2012.jpg
 Description:
"2012" Process
 Filesize:  771.55 KB
 Viewed:  22127 Time(s)

2012.jpg

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

From the programmer's point of view, here are the two possible reasons that could cause missing EXIF data:

a. The software does not export EXIF data.
b. The softwar does export EXIF data but our exif code can not understand it.

Reason b is most likely. I use a open-source EXIF extraction code found on internet. It is a bit old, only support common digital cameras (Nikon, Canon, Kodak, to name a few), and limited data fields. So if Lightroom 4 use a different data format, then there's a good chance that EXIF data cannot be extracted.

If Fritz can post a Lightroom processed image here I can take a look.

Ken

FBE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

here is a picture I got from Jerzy.

Fritz

IMG_2601-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  786.08 KB
 Viewed:  22117 Time(s)

IMG_2601-3.jpg

FBE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ THoff

Jerzy also takes all his pictures as RAW files, and exports them as JPGs after processing.

Fritz

Malcolm Clarke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to FBE (Fritz) and THoff for your responses and I'm hopeful that Ken will find a resolution to the EXIF problem.

I can see the advantageous difference between the two images but I not sure as to whether it is significant to me as I rather think I have other more basic avenues to follow first.
I have yet to put my toes into RAW images and your comments leave me to believe that this should be my next step. I just noticed that a certain other unmentionable web site has an excellent process for working from RAW to the finished image so that should be a help.

Just out of interest, I am currently creating a "hard" album of my Pitts images and here are a couple of samples. Perhaps RAW would have helped with the quality!

Malcolm.

Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Yes it is indeed a software issue. I have updated EXIF code. Please have a try and let me know if anything still wrong.

Sorry,

Ken

FBE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

as far as I can check, it seems to be perfect!

Good job and thanks a lot!! Very Happy

Fritz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: