Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Looking for info on crashes, specifically, Air Force KB-50       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation

Looking for info on crashes, specifically, Air Force KB-50 
biggdl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Looking for info on crashes, specifically, Air Force KB-50 Reply with quote

Looking for info on how to get aircraft accident report from U.S. Airforce, 1964 (Aug/Sep) Air Refeuling Wing, Yakoda(?), Japan. Capt. Granger, Gerald D. USAF (buried at Arlington Nat'l Cem.)
    Can I get confirmation this is being seen?
    Thank You
    Greg (Granger) LeButt

B-50 accidents 
L-5jockey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: B-50 accidents Reply with quote

Sorry cannot find anything on the 13 Aug 1964 Japan crash, other than this newspaper article (image copy below). It contains little details, other than crew member names and relatives.

Other KB-50 / WB-50 hull losses from my notes.
-- Again nothing from the above date --

KB-50J
48-065
B-50D converted to KB-50J
lost: 14 October 1964
(421st ARS-USAF) Thailand, engine failure shortly after takeoff on training mission /supporting Yankee missions over Laos. (6 survived)

WB-50
48-122
lost: 08 Sep 1960
56th WRS Yokota AB, Japan
Capt John R. Willis 1Lt Robert W. Blanton 1Lt William L. Hesse 1Lt Howard S. Kelly 2Lt Lawrence K. Draper MSgt Claude M. Burgess MSgt James W. Fields, Jr. TSgt Vernon W. Powell A1C Edward L. Armstead A3C Alfred Campbell, Jr. A3C Barney Jablonski

WB-50
49-343
lost: 04 Feb 1959
59th WRS Kindley AFB, Bermuda
Capt Robert F. Aldrich Capt Andrew P. Stefurak Capt Robert A. Brown Capt William Potter, Jr. 1Lt Carlton S. Whitney 1Lt Frank C. King, Jr. MSgt Donald R. Fitzgerald TSgt Alfred E. Estes SSgt Jack A. Parmelee SSgt Harvey O. Ward A1C Franklin D. Radcliff A3C Scott Stephens, Jr.

WB-50
48-093
lost: 17 Jan 1957
58th WRS Eielson AFB, AK
Capt Robert E. Eichelberger Capt Harold W. Bales Capt William P. Spil 1Lt Robert E. McGough 1Lt Ralph L. Sampson 2Lt Bobby H. Spencer MSgt Woodrow B. Russell A1C John W. Cramer A1C Donald D. Dodds A2C Robert C. Glenn A2C Thomas F. Patterson A3C Roger D. Sigman

WB-50
49-295
lost: 15 Jan 1958
54th WRS Andersen AFB, Guam
Capt Albert J. Lauer Capt Marcus G. Miller Capt Clyde W. Tefertiller 1Lt Courtland Beeler III 1Lt Paul J. Buerkle, Jr. TSgt Delivan L. Gordon SSgt Kenneth L. Tetzloff SSgt Kenneth L. Houseman A1C Bernard G. Tullgren A1C Randolph C. Watts

WB-50
49-315 named "The Golden Heart"
lost: 31 Aug 1956
58th WRS Eielson AFB, AK
Maj Dale Richardson Capt Leonard N. Chapman, Jr. Capt Everett E. Dyson 1Lt William J. Wolters, Jr. 2Lt William W. Faustlin MSgt Fred T. Gregg, Jr. TSgt Richard K. Brown SSgt Ronald R. Ragland A2C Melvin O. Lindsey A2C Elijah Spencer A3C Douglas W. Maxon

KB-50J
48-098
B-50D-80-BO converted to KB-50J (reported as a WB-50D with the 56 WRS-USAF)
lost: 28 Dec, 1956
Night approach at Yokota AB, Japan. 10 killed, 2 survived
Capt Raymond Durr Capt Dewey A. Keithly Capt Leonard A. Klawa Capt Lawrence E. Monies 1Lt Waylon H. Moseley SSgt William A. Taylor A2C Gerald R. Arnn A2C John E. Hollis A2C Mose F. Thomas, Jr.

AD_KB50.jpg
 Description:
Newspaper account list date of accident as Thursday 13 Aug 1964.
 Filesize:  695.86 KB
 Viewed:  13318 Time(s)

AD_KB50.jpg

biggdl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, for your info. I had found the newspaper article a few years ago. I am wondering how you went about getting your info.,as it looks like the KB-50 engines weren't much improved from the WW2 B-29. I'm only curious because I had been told my Dad was in command of the aircraft, and the newspaper article refutes that. I also found an article that stated a park/park bench had been commemorated to the senior officer. My mom passed 25yrs ago so my avenues for info. is getting smaller every year. I'm going to Google the names of the survivors and see what I come up with. Thank you, again. A greatful son.

biggdl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the bench I mentioned is in Japan, near Yakoda AFB.

biggdl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, is there a way to ask the Air Force directly? Any suggestions?

gjhappy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure how to post to respond to a specific person. My father Major Glen M. Haynes was the pilot of the plane that crashed August 1964. I was 15 at the time. I have a photo album that was prepared and sent to my mother when the park was dedicated. It was originally an entire park with a plaque in memory of those who were lost. As time went by, it is my understanding that more space was needed for barracks and the park was disassembled but the momument remains. I would be happy to copy pics and share them with any family members of those who were lost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: