Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Accomodation in Anchorage       

Accomodation in Anchorage 
stantonite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Accomodation in Anchorage Reply with quote

Just back from a family vacation to Alaska - felt I had to share the information about a wonderful Aviation themed Bed and Breakfast Inn we found on the shores of Lake Hood http://www.lakehoodinn.com/

Initially, when I started planning this vacation , I was a bit concerned about the high prices of Anchorage hotels and the poor reviews shown (on Trip Advisor) about every hotel I looked at , this forced me to start looking for B&B type accomodation and I stumbled upon the Lake Hood Inn. http://www.lakehoodinn.com/

For anyone interested in Aviation and in particularly GA , this is a must if you visit Anchorage - there are only four bedrooms - but from the moment you walk through the entrance you are surrounded by aviation and aviation memorabillia, from the model DHC2 by the Guest Book, to the row of IL-62 seats from a damaged aircraft, climbing the staircase to your room you pass an image of a Piper Cub smoked into the glass and all sort of memorabillia surround the bedroom landing area.

The four rooms are appropriately named Alpha , Bravo , Charlie and Delta , two at the back of the property are Alpha (Partial lake view) and Delta (No Lake view) whilst the best two are Charlie and Bravo - These rooms face directly onto the Lake , Trees slightly obscure the view from Charlie, but by far the best view is from Bravo , with a clear view of all Lake Hood moves , plus a distant (approx 2 miles) view of all landing traffic at the International airport , both rooms have an outside elevated deck area and between them is also a viewing area that can be used by the guests in the back bedrooms - to complete the picture , on these desks, there are a total of six pilot style headphones , linked to Lake Hood ATC - so you can relax , watch the aviation action (not to mention the wildlife that visits Lake Hood)

The owner , Bill Floyd , is a pilot himself, his Cessna 180 , N2400C , sits in his float dock at the bottom of his garden - I have posted a photo of his aircraft

The accomodation is immaculate and the owner a gentleman

Terry Fletcher
UK

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last August I stayed at the Merrill Field Inn in Anchorage just across E. Fifth Avenue from Merrill Field MRI. Rates are cheaper than the Lake Hood Inn especially if you make them direct with the Inn rather than using an Alaska website reservation service. The Inn is substantially larger than the Lake Hood Inn, so you have a much better chance of getting a reservation. See my review of my 6 day stay at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/946db/ on my Anchorage Tips page with fuller information and see the Inn's website at www.merrillfieldinn.com for the Inn's full information.

The Inn is about a 15 minute drive to Lake Hood SPB LHD and Ted Stevens Anchorage Int'l ANC. The Inn's telephone: I-800 898-4547. Although I spent a fair amount of time at Lake Hood SPB, I had several meetings in Anchorage and therefore stayed in Anchorage. I highly recommend the Alaska trip for great aircraft photo opportunities (I took 455 photos) and floatplane charters.

sultan 
Tripple26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: sultan Reply with quote

SZP will be shut down to flight operations commencing Wednesday 25 June 2008 for three days to completely resurface runway 04-22. This is one of the major permanent improvements needed after the disastrous flooding of February 2008 temporary patch-repairs, made possible by the FAA $5.7 million grant. I have not seen an FAA NOTAM on the temporary closure as yet, but there may be one out or shortly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Airports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: