Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Someone's Moving My Photos       

Someone's Moving My Photos 
davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Someone's Moving My Photos Reply with quote

Noticed that a photograph I shot of the Wright Flyer back in the 1980s at the Smithsonian in DC, was recently moved to the airport section and placed under the IAD profile. Since the Smithsonian isn't anywhere near IAD grounds, I'm wondering why this switch was made and who made it? This photograph was originally posted in the aircraft section when I first joined A-D. I have other photos from the Smithsonian collection that have not been changed (as of yet). These photos should not be assigned an airport code since they weren't shot at an airport. I'd like my photo of the Wright Flyer put back the way I originally uploaded it, if possible.

By the way, over the last several months I've noticed that many of my photos have been "tampered" with, mainly photos of aircraft that I had uploaded with an "unknown" tag. These photos were also switched from the aircraft section to the airport section. I realized this when all of a sudden these photos showed up in my profile as "unorganized, no folder," when they had been previously organized.

I assume this was A-D management trying to clear up a bunch of unknowns. However, why my photo of the Wright Flyer has been all of a sudden switched, I don't know. Soon, I may find my photographs of the Spruce Goose given an KLGB tag, even though that plane was never housed on airport grounds.

Can someone explain to me why this stuff is happening?

Re: Someone's Moving My Photos 
Airport-Data
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Someone's Moving My Photos Reply with quote

davidhcrocker wrote:

I assume this was A-D management trying to clear up a bunch of unknowns.

This is exactly what is happening. The Smithsonian shot maybe an accident, but we are working very hard to organize data and photos on this site, including identifying UNKNOWN photos or move them into airport section if it cannot be identified. Due to the massive workload, it's not possible to notify each member who have been affected.

Our admin team members spend hours on this site each day, which is greatly appreciated. All works are done in the interests of this site, so please don't take any change personally.

That been said, if a mistake happens, we will be glad to correct it. Please provide the photo ID so we can look into it.

Ken

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

It was me that moved the photo to the airport section as I could not find an ID or reg number for it, and as you have entered WRIGHT FLYER in the field where the reg number should be, it appeared in the Aircraft photos without a profile list.

The reason I moved it to the IAD location is because there are already close to 50 images at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in this airport profile.

If you can supply the correct ID for the image I will create a profile for it.

As we on the admin team work through the Aircraft photos without a profile list, we will either move an image into the UNKNOWN profile or the airport section. By doing this other members of this site have helped with identifying several hundred previously UNKNOWN images, as can be seen in this thread.

http://www.airport-data.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4226

There have also been several requests over the last few months by members of the admin team for photographers to review their own collections and make any corrections and add profiles. Yesterday (Sunday) I spent six hours working on the database adding profiles, correcting profiles, deleting duplicate profiles. delinking profiles, etc. On Saturday I spent four hours doing the same thing. In the past I have sent PM's and or emails to members asking them to correct their errors, but very rarely get a reply or response. If the Admin team can spare the time to research the info to create a profile, then why can't the members who upload the image??

At the end of the day, all we are trying to do is make this site a much better, more organised and more accurate place to add your aviation images, we are not tampering with them.

If by moving your image to a place where it will be seen with other images in the same location i.e. the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum and this has upset you, then I apologise, but ask you to provide more information so it can be placed in the correct profile rather that it falling back into the Aircraft photos without a profile list.

Regards

Chris

Ztex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one question.

What can I do to help with my own stuff. Do I need to download the photos and then upload them again into the "Airport" section. Is there another/easier way for us to do this?

I for one have stopped putting Unknowns in to the database. I will upload those types into the my Airshow or Airport folders...but I have eight pages of unknowns that I have previously uploaded to the database...

If that is the only way to make your job easier I'll start working on it.

Zane

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zane

It is very easy for a member to move their own photo's between the aircraft and airport sections.

Go into the Member Section

click on Aircraft Photos

search UNKNOWN

then click on the Move to Airport Section which is next to the Download option.

thanks

Chris

Ztex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah HA! I have not noticed that link before.

Greatness! Ken is the Man!

Thanks
Zane

davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I'm offended, just questioning why this was occurring. As for creating a profile of the Wright Flyer, just how should I do this when there were no "N" numbers (or for that matter NC) back in 1903? What did the other folks who have the Wright Flyer in A-D do? If you can supply me with some form of ID, I'll be happy to make it conform with the others. I also have an unidentified Eastern DC-3 and Yeager's Bell X-1 on the A-D site. Do you have some type of ID numbers for those that will also make them compliant with the site?

And, in a show of good faith, I just typed "unknown" into my aircraft field and found nine photos. Those have now been shifted over to the airport side. As far as I know, the only three photos in the aircraft section that I don't have profiles on are the Wright Flyer, the Eastern DC-3 and Yeager's Bell X-1, all of which I took at the Smithsonian about 30 years ago.

Chris Hall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidhcrocker wrote:
I also have an unidentified Eastern DC-3 and Yeager's Bell X-1 on the A-D site. Do you have some type of ID numbers for those that will also make them compliant with the site?

Try what we do on the admin team

Google search.

Look at existing photographs at that location

trawl through databases on the internet

a quick 2 minute google search and I found these very easily - N18124 and 46-0062

profiles and photo's of both already exist in the data base

davidhcrocker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll do that and then hopefully all my aircraft photos will be compliant and we won't need to talk about about this topic again.

Florida Metal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was part of the problem of posting aircraft in the airport section or as "UNKNOWN". At the time of posting I didn't know the aircraft's ID since I took the plane with a film camera 20 years ago - so I posted it under the airport section. Fortunately there are a few people on here that email me that find a plane's ID and I am able to either build a profile for it or move it to a profile already built.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: