Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
Aircraft Quiz #69       

Aircraft Quiz #69 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Quiz #69 Reply with quote

This Quiz will seek to name the arguably most radical canard-pusher piston-engined fighter to be put into production in WWII. It was designed to outperform all existing WWII fighter aircraft.

1. Manufacturer?

2. Full nomenclature of the heavily-armed aircraft?

3. Date of first prototype flight?

4. How many blades in it's propeller?

5. What doomed its war service? Be specific.

As usual, full specs and performance data will be provided after the correct answers are submitted.

SunvisorFlyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most radical pusher in production in WWII? That seems a bit confusing.. I'm not finding many pusher aircraft (radical or not) that went into production at that time.

First guess:
1. SAAB
2. SAAb J 21A-1/2/3
3. July 30, 1943.
4. 3 blades
5. Not sure

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My source of this quiz used those exact words in describing the quiz aircraft, and the SAAB J-21 was an EARLIER design/build; so my source should/would have known of the SAAB fighter/bomber pusher design in framing those descriptive words.

My quiz goal is to visit the first of a kind, the rare, exotic or radical, to induce aircraft searches and to perhaps impart some new information about aircraft designs through their history. I have been complimented for that on occasion. I have to confess I only learned of the present quiz aircraft in researching material just today, but from a trusted, verifiable source. Ergo! Quiz #69!

I do appreciate your comments, suggesting this quiz will enlighten readers as well as jog history re WWII, which I lived through and remember.

red750

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to an interesting article on the J-21 with a number of colored photographs, one of which shows the unusual "tractor-tread" tires.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2000/02/stuff_eng_detail_j21.htm

Peter.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter,

There are several illustrated accounts of the SAAB J-21 pusher. To reiterate, the J-21 prototype flew BEFORE that of the quiz aircraft in question of Quiz #69, and the later quiz aircraft was "arguably" judged more radical in design.

moxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese Navy ordered the following aircraft into production even before the prototype flew. If this qualifies I don't know as it never actually went into production but nevertheless I'll give it a whirl as I can find no alternatives.

1. Kyushu Hikoki KK

2. J7W Shinden

3. 3rd August 1945

4. 6 bladed prop

5. The prototype's second and third flights were on the days that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were obliterated so any production would have been a little late.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Welcome back to the winner's place again and I salute your quick achievement!

The Japanese Kyushu J7W1 Shinden (Magnificent Lightning) was that most radical piston powered pusher fighter of the WWII era. It was designed to outperform ALL existing Japanese and Allied types. And, production did in fact start BEFORE the first of two Shinden prototypes were finished in April 1945. The first flight was delayed because of engine cooling issues, shortages of critical parts and the dire war situation for Japan. The prototype flights were with landing gear down. The Shinden's designer-Captain Masaoki Tsuruno made three flights on the day of first flight.

Here are my quiz answers.

1. Kyushu

2. Kyushu J7W1 SHINDEN

3. 3 August 1945.

4. Six blade pusher prop

5. The war ended a week later (from the Shinden's flights) after the second American atomic H bomb destroyed Nagasaki, which event followed the destruction of Hiroshima by the first enemy-targeted atomic H bomb. Those caused the Japanese surrender on VJ Day.

Specifications

Crew: One
Powerplant: one 2,000 Hp Mitsubishi Ha 43-42 radial piston engine
Max speed: estimated 466 mph
Max altitude; estimated 39,000 ft
Wingspan: 36' 6"
Length: 31' 8"
Max Weight: 11,526 lb
Armament: Four 30mm Type 5 cannon with 450 rounds

This heavy (and substantial) armament weight in the nose offset the pusher engine weight in the rear. The three main wheels of the tricycle landing gear had also two auxiliary wheels-this landing gear was NEVER retracted in the test flights. The SHINDEN had strong vibrations at full power, mainly from the pusher propeller and drive shaft. There was also a strong tendency to pull right in flight.

My info states the flight prototype Shinden became an exhibit in America's Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

Oh, and I forgot to describe that the design was a canard design with main wing below the rear engine with twin empennages above and below the aft wing. The lower empennage below the main wing had small wheels that were also retractable.

I thank all who viewed this esoteric quiz.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My information source on this unconventional Japanese fighter aircraft was Copyrighted 2005. My last visit to the National Air & Space Museum in Washington, D.C. was in July, 1979. The Kyushu J7W1 SHINDEN was NOT on display there at that time. NASM also at the time had many aircraft in their collection on loan to other aviation museums listed as of Nov. 1, 1975.

The Kyushu J7W1 SHINDEN aircraft was listed however, as being in Storage, probably at their extensive exhibit restoration facility at Dulles Airport IAD that was not normally open for tours then in 1979. I expect it is now at NASM on display as billed if readers are interested. Updated info or any available photos are welcomed, as I do not reproduce copyrighted material other than my own.

red750

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,
This is interesting, because 40 odd years ago, my then neighbor built a radio controlled model of the Shinden. I don't remember a lot about the model, or how it went when he flew it, and don't have any photos. I have moved interstate since then. If he's still alive, he would be in his nineties. He was a grandfather even back then.

Peter.

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter,

Most interesting that a Shinden flying model was offered years ago. I am in my ninth decade; your friend if alive would be in his tenth. WWII launched a large number of companies making and selling kit model aircraft; which that and the war started many of us to be aviation and becoming pilots oriented .

Doug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Chitchat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: