Airport-Data.com Forum Index  
  Airport-Data.com » Forums  Guest: Log in |  Register |  Search |  Memberlist |  Usergroups |  Profile |  Private messages |  FAQ 
The 2010 American Barnstormers Tour       

The 2010 American Barnstormers Tour 
Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: The 2010 American Barnstormers Tour Reply with quote

The 2010 American Barnstormers Tour schedule has been released. The tour, which started in 2006, offers people in small towns across America a chance to see aircraft that relive the heyday of aerial barnstorming entertainment of the 1920s and 1930s. Though the 2010 tour may not come to your town in 2010, this is an opportunity for you to travel to a small town to enjoy the aircraft, their flights (you can ride in them) and the chance to take some wonderful photos of old fabric covered or newly built or restored aircraft of Aviation's Golden Age. More than 20 vintage aircraft are expected to fly together on the seven city tour.

June 17-19, Mason City, Iowa-Mason City Municipal Airport MCW

June 20-22, Tea, South Dakota, Marv Skie-Lincoln County Airport Y14

June 23, Watertown, South Dakota, Watertown Regional Airport ATY

June 24-26, Aberdeen, South Dakota, Aberdeen Regional Airport ABR

June 27-29, Bismarck, North Dakota, Bismarck Municipal Airport BIS

June 30-July 2, Jamestown, North Dakota, Jamestown Regional Airport JMS

July 3-5, Alexandria, Minnesota, Chandler Field Airport AXN

Some of these towns and airports hold personal memories. I was born in South Dakota and raised in Minnesota, traveling extensively in these states. On my long solo cross-country while learning to fly in the 1960s, I landed and took off from MCW, which then had an Air Traffic Control Tower. When I landed there again to refuel on the way to EAA AirVenture 2008 (first time back to MCW), the tower was apparently long gone. The FBO's young fueler said, "Yes, something was on top of the building but it was removed".

I hope some of you will attend the 2010 tour moving into the northern Great Plains states and upload some aircraft and airport photos commemorating your experience.

Further details: www.AmericanBarnstormersTour.com

KregAXN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably be virtually living at AXN that 4th of July weekend! It's going to be an awesome experience for our town..

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is your chance to purchase a ride in a 1920s-1930s Golden Age aircraft on this, their third tour. Mainly biplanes, there will be one large high wing taildragger, at least. Travel Air, New Standard and Stearman will be some of the aircraft making the tour.

Official name: American Barnstormers Flying Circus.

KregAXN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just following up here after the big event at Alexandria, MN (AXN).

It was an awesome show, everyone was extremely friendly and I met some great people. We had 15 aircraft show up and I was able to grab photos of 14 of them. To see the photos, look up any of the following registration numbers. I was also able to get rides in 7286 and 9038.

N397M - Curtiss Wright Travel Air E-4000
N455N - Curtiss Wright Travel Air D-4000
N689K - Curtiss Wright Travel Air 4-D
N1499 - Curtiss Wright Travel Air 4000
N7286 - New Standard D-25A
N8565 - Waco ATO
N9038 - Curtiss Wright Travel Air 6-B
N9943 - Curtiss Wright Travel Air 4000
N10886 - Stinson Jr.
N13166 - Fairchild 22 C7B
N14768 - Fairchild 22 C7D
N16522 - Waco YKS-6
N39109 - Bleriot XI
N43340 - Boeing E75 Stearman

-Kreg A.
Alexandria, MN
www.kregaxn.webs.com

Doug Robertson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kreg,

Very fine photos and some terrific aircraft. The 2009 Bleriot XI re-creation is of special interest as in the early 1960s a retired Northwest Airlines pilot scratch-built a Bleriot XI and I saw it fly in Minnesota at about tree-top level, so one could see the constant flight corrections required to keep it in somewhat stable flight.

The original Bleriot XI crossed the English Channel piloted by Louis Bleriot from Calais, France to behind Dover Castle, England in 37 minutes on 25 July, 1909, winning the Northcliff Daily Mail prize of 1,000 pounds. (Bleriot had spent some 30,000 pounds on various aircraft, so he was determined to win some money back). The successful flight caused a sensation in England, making them rethink their invincibility.

N689K is an old California-based friend, photographed at SZP during the 75th Anniversary of the Santa Paula airport in 2005.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airport-Data.com Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: