Chris Hall's Photo Gallery

Total 76564 pictures. 84 in this folder.   Contact    Home

 
 Gallery Home

Aircraft and aiport photos are sorted separately. Airport photos always shown after aircraft photos.

BAPC130 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Blackburn Mercury Monoplane replica was built for Yorkshire Television for the Edwardian drama series 'Flambards', and was taxied with a car engine.
BAPC240 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 replica, represents a Messerschmitt 109G6/R6, flown by Major Anton Hackl of JG.11, who was 29 years old in 1944. With a final total of 192 victories Anton Hackl was one of the most successful German fighter pilots of WWII
BAPC240 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 replica, represents a Messerschmitt 109G6/R6, flown by Major Anton Hackl of JG.11, who was 29 years old in 1944. With a final total of 192 victories Anton Hackl was one of the most successful German fighter pilots of WWII
BAPC240 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 replica, represents a Messerschmitt 109G6/R6, flown by Major Anton Hackl of JG.11, who was 29 years old in 1944. With a final total of 192 victories Anton Hackl was one of the most successful German fighter pilots of WWII
XX901 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
In the 1991 Gulf War Buccaneer XX901 flew 14 operational missions and had the unique distinction of destroying a taxiing Iraqi transport aircraft with a laser guided bomb.
XX901 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
'Flying Mermaid' nose art on Blackburn Buccaneer S2B. XX901
ZA354 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Tornado GR.1 ZA354 first flew on 13 January 1982 and was involved in drop tank, armament and fatigue testing trials throughout its life. It last flew on 17 March 2004 and arrived at Elvington from British Aerospace, Warton, Lancashire on 28 April 2005.
538 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Dassault Mirage IIIE 538, was presented to the Museum by the French Air Force. It had been flown in 1972 by Museum member, Colonel Denis Turina, whose father flew from Elvington in the Second World War. The aircraft last flew in 1993.
HJ711 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
De Havilland Mosquito D.H.98 NF.II HJ711 is the product of many years of dedicated restoration work by Tony Agar and his helpers.
ZA354 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Tornado GR.1 ZA354 first flew on 13 January 1982 and was involved in drop tank, armament and fatigue testing trials throughout its life. It last flew on 17 March 2004 and arrived at Elvington from British Aerospace, Warton, Lancashire on 28 April 2005.
XN974 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
In 1965 XN974 went to the USA for hot weather testing and achieved a record on its return flight from Goose Bay to Lossiemouth by becoming the first Fleet Air Arm aircraft to fly the transatlantic route non-stop without refuelling.
538 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Dassault Mirage IIIE 538, was presented to the Museum by the French Air Force. It had been flown in 1972 by Museum member, Colonel Denis Turina, whose father flew from Elvington in the Second World War. The aircraft last flew in 1993.
XN974 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Buccaneer XN974 was the first production S.2 aircraft, making its first flight from the British Aerospace airfield at Holme-on-Spalding Moor on 5 June 1964. It went straight to the Royal Aeronautical Establishment, Bedford,
R6690 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Spitfire replica at the Museum commemorates 609 (West Riding) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, and represents Spitfire Mk Ia 'R6690' flown in the Battle of Britain by the Commanding Officer, Sqn Ldr H S 'George' Darley.
G-AMYJ photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
preserved at the Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington
WH846 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Canberra T4 was with 231 OCU, then 3 Squadron at Geilenkirchen, on the Station Flight at Laarbruch and with 100 Squadron at Wyton, until storage at St Athan in 1977. It was in storage at Samlesbury before coming to Elvington in May 1988.
XL502 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's aircraft, previously at Sandtoft, Lincolnshire, was the last Gannet in service with No 849 Squadron and the last Gannet to display at air shows
G-ASCD photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
After initial military service with 663 and 651 Army Co-operation Squadrons as a spotter aircraft for the Royal Artillery, the Museum's aircraft was converted for civilian use as a Beagle Terrier, registration G-ASCD.
LV907 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Handley Page Halifax III named "Friday the 13th" in honour of Halifax, LV907, which completed 128 operations with 158 Squadron,
WH846 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Canberra T4 was with 231 OCU, then 3 Squadron at Geilenkirchen, on the Station Flight at Laarbruch and with 100 Squadron at Wyton, until storage at St Athan in 1977. It was in storage at Samlesbury before coming to Elvington in May 1988.
XZ631 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Tornado GR4 XZ631, which arrived at Elvington on 22 March 2005, first flew on 24 November 1978 as pre-series aircraft P15 and was the prototype for the conversion work to GR.4 standard carried out by British Aerospace at Warton, Lancashire.
XL502 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's aircraft, previously at Sandtoft, Lincolnshire, was the last Gannet in service with No 849 Squadron and the last Gannet to display at air shows
G-AMYJ photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
preserved at the Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington
HJ711 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
De Havilland Mosquito D.H.98 NF.II HJ711 is the product of many years of dedicated restoration work by Tony Agar and his helpers.
XH767 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Gloster Javelin F(AW).9. XH767 was built at Hucclecote and went to Aldergrove in October 1959. It joined 25 Squadron at Waterbeach in December that year. From 1962 until 1965, the aircraft served with 11 Squadron in Germany.
XV748 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Harrier GR3, XV748 was built as a GR.1 and first flown in April 1969. It served at Wittering with the Conversion Unit and 1 Squadron and had been converted to GR.3 standard by 1976. It later became a test aircraft with the then Royal Aircraft Establishmen
BAPC041 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c, The Yorkshire Air Museum's replica was built by the apprentices at RAF Halton and was used by the Royal Air Force as a display aircraft for many years.
XP640 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Elvington Museum's Jet Provost T.4 is displayed in the colours of No. 6 Flying Training School at Finningley, where it served during the 1970s.
G-AMYJ photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Dakota IV was manufactured in Oklahoma City, USA, as a C-47B and entered RAF service at RAF Montreal as KN353 in February 1945. In March 1945, it was transferred to 300 Wing in Australia and from May until December 1946 it served in Ceylon.
WL168 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Meteor F8, WL168 was built at Hucclecote as part of the last batch of the 1090 F.8s built and entered service with the Royal Air Force in February 1954. For the first year it was with 111 Squadron at North Weald, then with 604 Sqn at the same airfield
XH278 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Vampire T11 XH278 was built at Chester and was test flown on 13 September 1955. It was delivered to the RAF Cranwell on 30 December 1955. Apart from one minor collision with a fuel bowser on 8 January 1957, it remained in service until 3 February 1960 whe
BAPC041 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c, The Yorkshire Air Museum's replica was built by the apprentices at RAF Halton and was used by the Royal Air Force as a display aircraft for many years.
G-TFRB photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Air Command Sports Elite is a kit-built gyroplane built in the USA since the early 1990s. It is powered by a Rotax 532 engine. The aircraft can take off within 600 feet in still air and a good pilot can land within 10 feet. The cruising speed is 60 -
G-AWSV photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Skeeter AOP 12 (S2/5107) at the Museum first flew in February 1959 and served with the Army Air Corps as XM553 until it was struck off charge on 25 April 1968. It was restored in 1979 as closely as possible to the 1961 specification.
G-AMYJ photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
preserved at the Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington
WH991 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Westland Dragonfly HR.3 of the Yorkshire Helicopter Preservation Group (YHPG) on display at the Yorkshire Air Museum
XL502 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's aircraft, previously at Sandtoft, Lincolnshire, was the last Gannet in service with No 849 Squadron and the last Gannet to display at air shows
RA854 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Slingsby Cadet T1 was built during the War in London, by sub-contractor Ottley Motors Ltd., as one of a batch of 30. Its early service is not known, but in 1947 it was at No.41 Gliding School and in 1949 it was at RAF Woodvale.
XV748 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Harrier GR3, XV748 was built as a GR.1 and first flown in April 1969. It served at Wittering with the Conversion Unit and 1 Squadron and had been converted to GR.3 standard by 1976. It later became a test aircraft with the then Royal Aircraft Establishmen
R6690 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Spitfire replica at the Museum commemorates 609 (West Riding) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, and represents Spitfire Mk Ia 'R6690' flown in the Battle of Britain by the Commanding Officer, Sqn Ldr H S 'George' Darley.
BAPC076 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
HM.14 Flying Flea, Designed by a Frenchman, Henri Mignet, in 1934, the Flying Flea could be built at home and cost £90 (about £5000 today). A total of 123 were completed in Britain, but scores more were never finished.
WL168 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Meteor F8, WL168 was built at Hucclecote as part of the last batch of the 1090 F.8s built and entered service with the Royal Air Force in February 1954. For the first year it was with 111 Squadron at North Weald, then with 604 Sqn at the same airfield
21417 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star. This aircraft was one of 636 jet trainers built under licence by Canadair for the Royal Canadian Air Force, from 1952. It was used as an instrument flight trainer whilst in service with the Canadian forces in Germany.
R6690 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Spitfire replica at the Museum commemorates 609 (West Riding) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, and represents Spitfire Mk Ia 'R6690' flown in the Battle of Britain by the Commanding Officer, Sqn Ldr H S 'George' Darley.
LV907 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Handley Page Halifax III named "Friday the 13th" in honour of Halifax, LV907, which completed 128 operations with 158 Squadron,
WH846 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Canberra T4 was with 231 OCU, then 3 Squadron at Geilenkirchen, on the Station Flight at Laarbruch and with 100 Squadron at Wyton, until storage at St Athan in 1977. It was in storage at Samlesbury before coming to Elvington in May 1988.
G-ASCD photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
After initial military service with 663 and 651 Army Co-operation Squadrons as a spotter aircraft for the Royal Artillery, the Museum's aircraft was converted for civilian use as a Beagle Terrier, registration G-ASCD.
WS788 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's aircraft was built at Bagington, Coventry, in February 1954. In July 1954, it was issued to 152 Squadron at Wattisham. It served with the No.1 Air Navigation School at Thorney Island and later at No.2 School at Stradishall
G-YURO photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Europa at the Yorkshire Air Museum is the re-furbished prototype and development aircraft, which first flew in February 1992.
WH991 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Westland Dragonfly HR.3 of the Yorkshire Helicopter Preservation Group (YHPG) on display at the Yorkshire Air Museum
G-AMYJ photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Dakota IV was manufactured in Oklahoma City, USA, as a C-47B and entered RAF service at RAF Montreal as KN353 in February 1945. In March 1945, it was transferred to 300 Wing in Australia and from May until December 1946 it served in Ceylon.
BAPC076 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
HM.14 Flying Flea, Designed by a Frenchman, Henri Mignet, in 1934, the Flying Flea could be built at home and cost £90 (about £5000 today). A total of 123 were completed in Britain, but scores more were never finished.
BAPC265 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Hawker Hurricane I replica is painted as P3873 of the Royal Canadian Air Force, in which the Museum's Canada Branch Patron, Hon. Hartland de M Molson OC OBE KstJ, was shot down during the Battle of Britain.
21417 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star. This aircraft was one of 636 jet trainers built under licence by Canadair for the Royal Canadian Air Force, from 1952. The type was known in Canada as the 'Silver Star'.
G-YURO photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Europa at the Yorkshire Air Museum is the re-furbished prototype and development aircraft, which first flew in February 1992.
BAPC265 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Hawker Hurricane I replica was unveiled on 20 August 2000 and installed as the gate guardian on 8 October 2000 by the Canadian High Commissioner, the Hon. Roy McLaren PC
RA854 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Slingsby Cadet T1 was built during the War in London, After service at Woodford with the Hawker Siddeley Gliding Club, the Cadet went into preservation in 1963. It was acquired by the Yorkshire Air Museum in May 2000.
21417 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star. This aircraft was one of 636 jet trainers built under licence by Canadair for the Royal Canadian Air Force, from 1952. The type was known in Canada as the 'Silver Star'.
G-AVPN photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Handley Page Herald Series 200 is a short-range transport aircraft powered by two Rolls-Royce Dart 527 turboprops of 2,150 shaft hp. Its maximum cruise speed is 274 mph. A Dart-engined Herald first flew in 1958.
G-AMYJ photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Dakota IV was manufactured in Oklahoma City, USA, as a C-47B and entered RAF service at RAF Montreal as KN353 in February 1945.
XH767 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Gloster Javelin F(AW).9. XH767 was built at Hucclecote and went to Aldergrove in October 1959. It joined 25 Squadron at Waterbeach in December that year. From 1962 until 1965, the aircraft served with 11 Squadron in Germany.
G-AWSV photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Skeeter AOP 12 (S2/5107) at the Museum first flew in February 1959 and served with the Army Air Corps as XM553 until it was struck off charge on 25 April 1968. It was restored in 1979 as closely as possible to the 1961 specification, which resulted in
RA854 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Slingsby Cadet T1 was built during the War in London, by sub-contractor Ottley Motors Ltd., as one of a batch of 30. Its early service is not known, but in 1947 it was at No.41 Gliding School and in 1949 it was at RAF Woodvale.
G-YURO photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Europa at the Museum is the re-furbished prototype and development aircraft, which first flew in February 1992.
BAPC265 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Hawker Hurricane I replica is painted as P3873 of the Royal Canadian Air Force, in which the Museum's Canada Branch Patron, Hon. Hartland de M Molson OC OBE KstJ, was shot down during the Battle of Britain.
XP640 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Elvington Museum's Jet Provost T.4 is displayed in the colours of No. 6 Flying Training School at Finningley, where it served during the 1970s.
XX901 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Buccaneer S2B. XX901 had an illustrious service record with the Royal Air Force. It was saved from scrapping by the Buccaneer Aircrew Association and is painted in the Gulf War scheme, including the 'Flying Mermaid' nose art.
XX901 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Buccaneer S2B. XX901 had an illustrious service record with the Royal Air Force. In 1983, it took part in the only deployment by Buccaneers to the Falklands and later saw action over Beirut.
XX901 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Buccaneer S2B. XX901 had an illustrious service record with the Royal Air Force. It was saved from scrapping by the Buccaneer Aircrew Association and is painted in the Gulf War scheme, including the 'Flying Mermaid' nose art.
XX901 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Buccaneer S2B. XX901 had an illustrious service record with the Royal Air Force. In 1983, it took part in the only deployment by Buccaneers to the Falklands and later saw action over Beirut.
XH767 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Gloster Javelin F(AW).9. XH767 was built at Hucclecote and went to Aldergrove in October 1959. It joined 25 Squadron at Waterbeach in December that year. From 1962 until 1965, the aircraft served with 11 Squadron in Germany.
XS903 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Following various spells with 11 Squadron, or in store, XS903 returned to 5 Squadron to go to Akrotiri in Cyprus. By July 1987, it was back with 11 Squadron and it lost a part of its rudder in flight and had to make an emergency landing on 4 August
G-AMYJ photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The aircraft was donated to the museum by Air Atlantique in December 2001 and is being restored in the appropriate RAF colour scheme
N-268 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Hunter FGA.78. The Museum's aircraft was originally a Mk 6, built under licence in Holland and served with the Royal Dutch Air Force before conversion to an FGA.78. It was with the Qatar Air Force for ten years, coming to the Museum in 1992. It is display
538 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Dassault Mirage IIIE 538, was presented to the Museum by the French Air Force. It had been flown in 1972 by Museum member, Colonel Denis Turina, whose father flew from Elvington in the Second World War. The aircraft last flew in 1993.
XL572 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Hunter T.7. XL572 first entered service at 229 Operational Conversion Unit at Chivenor in 1958.It came to Elvington in 1994 and has been painted in blue livery to represent XL571 the leading aircraft in the Blue Diamonds formation team. The team was based
G-AMYJ photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The Museum's Dakota IV was manufactured in Oklahoma City, USA, as a C-47B and entered RAF service at RAF Montreal as KN353 in February 1945. In March 1945, it was transferred to 300 Wing in Australia and from May until December 1946 it served in Ceylon.
XL231 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Victor K2. XL231 joined 139 Squadron on 1 February 1962. It was converted to become the prototype K.2 Tanker on 23 January 1972 and saw service in the Falklands War, in support of the 'Operation Black Buck' Vulcan raid on Port Stanley, and later in the Gu
N-268 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Hunter FGA.78. The Museum's aircraft was originally a Mk 6, built under licence in Holland and served with the Royal Dutch Air Force before conversion to an FGA.78. It was with the Qatar Air Force for ten years, coming to the Museum in 1992. It is display
XL572 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Hunter T.7. XL572 first entered service at 229 Operational Conversion Unit at Chivenor in 1958.It came to Elvington in 1994 and has been painted in blue livery to represent XL571 the leading aircraft in the Blue Diamonds formation team.
XL572 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
The first prototype Hunter T.7 two-seat trainer flew on 8 July 1955. These aircraft differed from the fighter by having a lengthened nose and 'side by side' seating. From 1957, a total of 45 Hunter T.7s were built at Kingston for the Royal Air Force. In a
ZA354 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Tornado GR.1 ZA354 first flew on 13 January 1982 and was involved in drop tank, armament and fatigue testing trials throughout its life. It last flew on 17 March 2004 and arrived at Elvington from British Aerospace, Warton, Lancashire on 28 April 2005.
XL572 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Hunter T.7. XL572 first entered service at 229 Operational Conversion Unit at Chivenor in 1958.It came to Elvington in 1994 and has been painted in blue livery to represent XL571 the leading aircraft in the Blue Diamonds formation team.
XS903 photo, click to enlarge
X4EV Airport, 2009-07-18
Lightning F.6. XS903 was built at Salmesbury and made its first flight on 17 August 1966 and joined 5 Squadron at Binbrook. It made a nosewheel-up landing at Coningsby on 14 September 1979.